Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    thewideeyedowl

Thank you, Pam (#8) - that was very helpful. When I read through the course's own blurb, on the FL site, I got the impression that the course could end up falling between too many stools in its attempt to accommodate all levels of entry knowledge spread all over the world. (This is in contrast to the very specific, and paid-for, genealogy courses run by Pharos Tutors. I have taken three and they have all been excellent.)

The comments in this thread, from both Pam and Allan, are similar to what I have read on Twitter - that the early week(s) of the course are re-inforcing/re-instilling stuff you already know (but might not always do). But then FL has got to establish a platform of basics before progress can be made.

Nonetheless, I like the idea of computer-based interactive learning - after all, it is the way things are going! - so I contacted FL about the, to me, vexing question of subtitles. Was assured that they take access very seriously - but, of course.

So have now taken the plunge and registered an interest in doing a 3-week course entitled Nutrition and Wellbeing, which I chose because it is way out of my comfort zone, i.e. I know I will be learning new things; it is short, and potentially very helpful for all the 'elderly' cooking I have to do at the moment. Hopefully, that course will be interesting and useful, whenever it takes place - date TBA, and I can see how I get on with FL's learning style. And if all were to go well, then I would sign up for 18th/19th century social history courses if any should be available.

Owl

JackieC

I've done the first two weeks of the course so far and I'm finding it very interesting and helpful. A lot of it I already know but there are snippets that are very helpful. There is also a Facebook-like thread where you can post comments and others help out with advice that is very useful. I do like Futurelearn, I did the numeracy course before this one (to brush up on my maths as I'll be retraining in accountancy soon) and I've signed up for a third course.

Allan F Sparrow

I have just completed week 4, having done all the previous weeks as they appeared. I thought week 2 was rather patchy in quality or usefulness, but weeks 3 and 4 rather better. The explanation of DNA testing was at least clear, but left me sceptical that it has any real value for most people's family research: the indications given are necessarily vague, as compared with documentary sources – when we have them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12