Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

There's a report in the Hampshire Advertiser, 8 Nov 1876 of labourer Enoch Burgess deserting his wife and child (no names) and leaving them chargeable to the Portsea Island Union. Punishment - 21 days hard labour
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

janbooth

Brilliant finds both of you. It does all seem to fit, doesn't it, and I do wonder if Elizabeth picked the name FORD as perhaps a variant of her maiden name as I did find a marriage at Portsmouth/Portsea Island for an Elizabeth ALFORD to a Michael McCormick, in 1867 I think, but sidelined it because I could not find a burial record for Michael prior to Elizabeth's marriage to Enoch. I then wondered if perhaps the George Alfred was supposed to be George Alford FORD, but again it was very speculative!

However, it does give a lot for p.mca to ge their teeth into, doesn't it.

Janet

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Brilliant finds both of you. It does all seem to fit, doesn't it, and I do wonder if Elizabeth picked the name FORD as perhaps a variant of her maiden name as I did find a marriage at Portsmouth/Portsea Island for an Elizabeth ALFORD to a Michael McCormick, in 1867 I think, but sidelined it because I could not find a burial record for Michael prior to Elizabeth's marriage to Enoch. I then wondered if perhaps the George Alfred was supposed to be George Alford FORD, but again it was very speculative!

However, it does give a lot for p.mca to ge their teeth into, doesn't it.

Janet
    It does all seem to fit Janet, yes, but as you rightly say it is speculative. I like your Elizabeth Alford/Michael Mccormick marriage and there is an Elizabeth Alford on 1861 census born Portsmouth 1851. I am wondering if George Alfred Ford changed his name from George Enoch Burgess to disassociate himself from his father who doesn't sound a pleasant chap! ALFRED and FORD could be a play on his mother's maiden name, and of course there's nothing illegal in changing your name unless the name change is for fraudulent purposes.

I don't have time right now to dig deeper into Elizabeth Alford, or any of this query, may find some time later.

p.mca really does need the marriage certificate for George Alfred Ford, I see no other way forward.
    Alma

p.mca

I'm feeling at bit like a rugby player for Howick/Pakuranga (sorry local NZ reference) who gets a front row seat to watch the All Blacks play... thank you all for your collective thoughts and detective work, I'm slowly working my way through it all, and agree there are some pretty interesting possibilities raised. My connection is via George A Ford's wife Emma Caroline Burt, sister of my great Grandfather. I will get the certificate as suggested and post back here with results. Merry Christmas!

janbooth

Please do, they appear to be a fascinating family, don't they. Have a good Christmas and look forward to hearing about the marriage certificate details.

Janet

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123