JackieC

Default Robert Laminman of Swineshead, b. circa 1770

This isn't an ancestor of mine, but I bought an original copy of The Lincoln, Rutland and Stamford Mercury dated 7 Oct 1808 and it had this rather interesting snippet in it, which may help someone with their research. It reads:

"Absconded from his Wife and family, on the 24th of July last, and left them chargeable to the parish of Swineshead, near Boston,
    ROBERT LAMINMAN
    He is about 38 years old, stout made, about 5 feet 6 or 7 inches high, walks rather lame, has dark eyes, is pitted with the small pox, and takes tobacco. He wears a wig like his own hair, with a white spot behind it; had a red cotton handkerchief around his neck, a dark velveteen jacket, an old red waistcoat, a short slop frock, a pair of light corded breeches, mended with dark cord between the legs, and no buttons at the knees, but tied with strings.
    Whoever will apprehend the said Robert Laminman, and lodge him in any of His Majesty's gaols until they give information to Zebedee Jessop, Overseer of Swineshead, shall receive a reward of Three Guineas."

What a detailed description of him!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Thanks for taking the time to post that, Jackie.

I love reading old newspapers just for finding those sort of articles. Far more interesting than reading
    about today's z-listers.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

JackieC

I quite agree Pam! Old newspapers are fascinating. I thought it might help someone, I've managed to find two interesting snippets on a couple of my ancestors with info that I wouldn't have found elsewhere, including one physical description though not as detailed as this one.

It seems that the 'crime' here is not that he has left his wife and kiddies, but left them chargeable to the parish. From the description, maybe his wife didn't want him back! Same newspaper advertised a reward for a missing pony of 5 guineas, seems odd to have a larger reward than for a person.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Same newspaper advertised a reward for a missing pony of 5 guineas, seems odd to have a larger reward than for a person.
    Things were often cock-eyed in ye olde days.

Attempted murder would get you a month's hard labour while a 14-year old could be transported for stealing three shillings and sixpence.
    https://vcp.e2bn.org/prisoners/26620-...ah-cotton.html
    https://vcp.e2bn.org/prisoners/8155-1-henry-catlin.html

Being caught after leaving your family seems to have ended in a sentence for varying weeks of hard labour, sometimes with being whipped.
    https://vcp.e2bn.org/prisoners/quicksearches.php

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”