Default Kent Parish Registers Online

I am posting this in case there is anyone else like me who has Kent ancestry but who has somehow remained totally oblivious to what has been under her nose on FindmyPast

When I go to FMP I usually open at the page listing their special collections, as I often need to look at Wales and Westminster. I had seen the heading Canterbury Collection, but beyond wishing that my ancestors could have forsaken Dover for Canterbury I confess I didn't give it a second glance.

The original images in the Canterbury Collection on FMP are the parish registers of the Kent Canterbury Archdeaconry. If you click on Canterbury Parish Registers you can scroll through all the parishes covered and then scroll through all the original registers. These include, as well as all the villages in the area, complete registers for Broadstairs, Deal, Dover, Faversham, Folkestone, Herne Bay, Margate, Ramsgate and Sandwich.

I have been able to break down one brick wall, confirm one long held supposition, and get another line back three generations in Warwickshire! Oh yes, and just to rub salt in the wound for my earlier stupidity in ignoring these records, the marriage of my 3 x great grandparents, which I have been searching for since 1987, took place in..... CANTERBURY
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Reputation beyond repute

Kent is confusing. Here's an explanation I wrote years ago which I think still holds good.

In general terms, Canterbury Cathedral Archives hold the records for parishes in the Archdeaconry of Canterbury. The Centre for Kentish Studies has the Archdeaconries of Maidstone and Tonbridge and also the Diocese of Rochester (except those in the Archdeaconry of Rochester, held by Medway Archives). Records relating to the Archdeaconry of Bromley are in Bromley Archives (the Deaneries of Bromley, Beckenham and Orpington) and in Bexley Archives (the Deaneries of Erith and Sidcup). Lewisham Local Studies Centre holds Lewisham and Lee. Greenwich Heritage Centre have some (but not all) records for Deptford, Greenwich, Charlton, Kidbrook and Eltham. Other from these, parishes which are now part of Greater London should be held by the London Metropolitan Archives.

FMP you've mentioned. Medway Archives parish registers are online as are the London Metropolitan Archives collection. The Centre for Kentish Studies is now the Kent History and Library Centre. You will search in vain online for their parish registers, unless you're a Mormon

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

The only answer to your explanation Peter is

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Wilkes_ml

Yes, FMP has the majority of the Kent Canterbury Archdeaconry parish registers, but there are some registers missing such as the majority of banns. There are also some errors, and issues....I still can't get one of the Chillenden registers to open for me, either in the "search" option or the "browse" option. Also some burial entries have been listed as baptisms (possibly Staple if I remember correctly) but the actual register is browsable.

One tip.......if you can't find the entry via the search facility, then go to the "browse Kent Canterbury Archdeaconry parish registers" which should be at the bottom right hand side of the search page.