davidb0745

Default Thomas Ballinger Born 1827 Coombe Hill

I am seeking information regarding James Ballinger, Father of Thomas, and his wife, name unknown. Thomas was born in 1827 in Coombe Hill and married Hannah Hopkins in 1848 before immigrating to Australia in 1857.

Any information will be extremely helpful, especially if it relates to generations prior to James.

Thanks

David Ballinger
    Australia

ballinger

Default Thomas Ballinger - Coombe Hill

Hello David

Not sure whether this will be of any use to you or not. We are also researching the Ballinger family from Coombe Hill (with particular reference to their connections to narrowboats). We haven't been able to do any work for quite some time and have just come back to it and found a reference to your request on the internet.

We have a reference to a Thomas Ballinger born in Coombe Hill in 1828 (Coombe Hill is a very tiny hamlet). Thomas was the son of James and Diana Ballinger. Diana Ballinger was also the mother of James Ballinger (born 1824) (who was described as 'base-born' or illegitimate).

We also have information about a James Ballinger (born in 1811 in Wormington - the illegitimate son of an Ann Ballinger). He was a Coal Merchant who lived in Coombe Mill. He was married to Prudence Ballinger (date not yet known) and they had 8 children Benjamin (1833), Mary Ann (1836) James (1838), Susannah(1843), Prudence (1844) Agnes(1847), John (1849), Thomas (1853).

We are uncertain whether these 2 James Ballingers are the same, but as we say Coombe Hill is a very small hamlet.

We are intending to go back to Gloucestershire Record Office in the near future to see if we can get a bit further with this. If you have any further information which you believe may be of use to us or if you have any specific queries you would like us to look at when we go please feel free to get in touch.

Best regards

Jenny and Mike Ballinger

davidb0745

Default James Ballinger

Hi Jenny and Mike

Hopefully you will get this message.

Can you please contact me on [email protected]. I believe that the James that you mentioned is my James.

Thanks

David

Adelaide
    South Australia

Quote Originally Posted by ballinger View Post
    Hello David

Not sure whether this will be of any use to you or not. We are also researching the Ballinger family from Coombe Hill (with particular reference to their connections to narrowboats). We haven't been able to do any work for quite some time and have just come back to it and found a reference to your request on the internet.

We have a reference to a Thomas Ballinger born in Coombe Hill in 1828 (Coombe Hill is a very tiny hamlet). Thomas was the son of James and Diana Ballinger. Diana Ballinger was also the mother of James Ballinger (born 1824) (who was described as 'base-born' or illegitimate).

We also have information about a James Ballinger (born in 1811 in Wormington - the illegitimate son of an Ann Ballinger). He was a Coal Merchant who lived in Coombe Mill. He was married to Prudence Ballinger (date not yet known) and they had 8 children Benjamin (1833), Mary Ann (1836) James (1838), Susannah(1843), Prudence (1844) Agnes(1847), John (1849), Thomas (1853).

We are uncertain whether these 2 James Ballingers are the same, but as we say Coombe Hill is a very small hamlet.

We are intending to go back to Gloucestershire Record Office in the near future to see if we can get a bit further with this. If you have any further information which you believe may be of use to us or if you have any specific queries you would like us to look at when we go please feel free to get in touch.

Best regards

Jenny and Mike Ballinger
    Last edited by Waitabit; 02-09-2010 at 3:29 AM. Reason: email edited foil scammers

janbooth

Hello David,

From Gloucestershire FH Baptismal Index 1813-37:

8 August 1824 at Leigh St Catherine James BALLINGER (bas) son of Diana, Leigh
    26 August 1826 at Leigh St Catherine James BALLINGER son of James & Diana, Coal Dealer, Leigh
    5 August 1828 at Leigh St Catherine Thomas BALLINGER son of James & Diana, Coal Merchant, Leigh

No burial that I can find on the Gloucestershire Burial Index for the first James, so perhaps he was rebaptised after his parents married? There is also a burial (but no baptism on the Baptismal Index) on 19 February 1837 at Leigh for a Diana BALLINGER of Deerhurst Walton, aged 12 days which may be relevant to you.

Can't find a marriage for James & Diana on the Gloucestershire FHS Marriage Index.

Janet

davidb0745

Hi

many thanks for this info

David

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Hello David,

From Gloucestershire FH Baptismal Index 1813-37:

8 August 1824 at Leigh St Catherine James BALLINGER (bas) son of Diana, Leigh
    26 August 1826 at Leigh St Catherine James BALLINGER son of James & Diana, Coal Dealer, Leigh
    5 August 1828 at Leigh St Catherine Thomas BALLINGER son of James & Diana, Coal Merchant, Leigh

No burial that I can find on the Gloucestershire Burial Index for the first James, so perhaps he was rebaptised after his parents married? There is also a burial (but no baptism on the Baptismal Index) on 19 February 1837 at Leigh for a Diana BALLINGER of Deerhurst Walton, aged 12 days which may be relevant to you.

Can't find a marriage for James & Diana on the Gloucestershire FHS Marriage Index.

Janet

Sonia

Interestingly, the IGI seems to have another child:

WILLIAM BALLINGER
    Christening: 23 FEB 1823 White Ladies Aston, Worcester, England
    Father: JAMES BALLINGER
    Mother: DIANA

So not sure what to make of the 1824 baptism of a James with no father given:

- Another Diana altogether?
    - Another man's child, but has to be baptised as Ballinger as it is mother's name? Also she doesn't reveal who the father was, so he can't also be recorded.
    - 1826 bapt is legitimate next son of husband James, who wants to give his own child his name?
    - 1826 baptism is re-baptism of same 1824 James in order to legitimise him, husband James having accepted legitimacy?

Who knows? All sorts of scenarios come to mind. My favourite would be: husband denied son was his as he'd been away for months dealing coal. But child turns out to be spitting image, so accepts he must be father, but birth was a bit premature. SPECULATION ONLY. Who knows????

janbooth

Even more curious, Sonia, is a marriage on Family Search Beta at Crowle, Worcestershire (almost next door to White Ladies Aston) of a James BALLINGER and Diana BUNN on 19 June 1820, so what on earth is going on with the baptism of James in 1824? Did the incumbent get it wrong, did he know something we don't or is this a completely different Diana BALLINGER - a sister of James perhaps.

I may have found the answer. There is a James BALLINGER baptised at Alderton on 30 April 1797, parents William & Hannah, and they also had a daughter Dinah, baptised 17 May 1795 at Alderton, amongst their other children. She could perhaps have been the mother of the first James baptised in 1824.

Hope this helps further, David.

Janet

davidb0745

Default Thanks

Janet and Sonia

Many thanks for the information and thoughts. It gives me some other avenues to look at.

What I have found since my original post is:-

that James possibly married Diana UNKNOWN in 1826 in St Catherine's Church, The Leigh, Gloucestershire, England (from Parish Records). She was born ABT 1798 in Gloucestershire, England and died 13 Jan 1836 in Deerhurst Walton, Gloucestershire, England and was buried 15 Jan 1836 in St Catherine's, The Leigh, Gloucestershire, England. On the UK NBI there is a death of a Dinah Ballinger at The Leigh, Gloucestershire on 17/1/1836. Reference is on The Leigh Burials 181-1861 at GFHC with her living at Deerhurst Walton at the time of her death. If this is this Diana (?) then these dates slot in with our James second marriage to Jane in June 1836 in Deerhurst. The continuance of the use of the name Dinah (Diana) by Thomas Ballinger in the birth of his first daughter Dinah (also known as Diana) helps to confirm Thomas's Mother's name.

James was listed as a Widower on the Parish Marriage Records in his marriage to Jane Barnes on the 6 Jun 1836 in St Mary's, Deerhurst, Gloucestershire, England. Jane was born ABT 1811 in Gloucestershire, England.

On the 1841 Census James is an Agricultural Labourer as living in the Parish of Deerhurst in the Hundred of Deerhurst Walton with Jane (2nd wife) and sons James (1826) and Thomas (1827) - ages corresponds with both James and Thomas's Birth Years. RG number: HO107 Piece: 369 Folio: 18 Page: 9 Reg. District: Deerhurst Parish: Deerhurst

In the 1851 Census, James and Jane are listed as living in Deerhurst Walton as a Farmer of 4 Acres with James being born in Conderton and Jane in Deerhurst. RG number: HO107 Piece: 974 Folio: 147 Page: 16 Reg. District: Tewkesbury Parish: Deerhurst

(census records held by TNA, Crown copyright)

David
    Adelaide
    South Australia
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 08-06-2011 at 10:55 AM. Reason: added required acknowledgement to TNA

janbooth

Default BALLINGER

Thanks for the update, David. It is always good to know the results arising from information given on the Forum. James's first marrige to Diana is not on the Gloucs FHS Marriage Index so I'm afraid I can't help you with that one.

Good luck with the rest of your research.

Janet

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi David, we just received some old family letters from my sister-in-law from 1878-1880. They include a letter from Thomas Ballinger and his wife Hannah who were living in Victoria to George Thorp and his wife. The opening address is dear brother and sister, so I am assuming it is his sister and brother-in-law. Thomas' address is hard to read, but it looks like Loradjulia, near Horsham, Victoria. There is an interesting reference in the letter to the capture of Ned Kelly. He comments they were waiting to write until they heard from the UK, but they haven't heard anything since last Christmas and fear they are all dead .The letter is dated the 26th of August, 1880. We have just started looking into this as my husband's family name is McAninch and we are from the States, living in New Zealand.