Default Charles Boxall - Sussex

Good evening all, I thought I would use your collective expertise to help me with this.
    I am trying to find the origins of Charles Boxall who is in an unmarked grave at Jackson Bay, New Zealand.
    Here is the information I have -
    West Coast Times , Issue 51, 30 September 1865, Page 2 - Charles died on board the “Alhambra” on Sep 25th 1865 during a heavy storm.
    Otago Daily Times , 2 October 1865, Page 4 – Charles was a native of Sussex whose brother was on board, they were part of a party of miners en route to Hokitika.
    West Coast Times , Issue 2293, 15 April 1876, Page 2 – Charles’ gravestone is described as Charles Boxall aged 35 who met his death by accident on board the steamer Alhambra. (This grave marker no longer exists)

I have been unable to find a death certificate for Charles although I do have a copy of the probate of his will in which his brother is named as William. The brothers appear to have been in New Zealand for about 2 years.
    I haven’t been able to find the 2 brothers on any shipping lists - they may have come via Australia – I also haven’t been able to find any trace of William after 1865. There is a William Boxall living in the North Island of NZ but he seems to be the son on Edward and Hannah.
    The family I think is the best match is in 1841 at Class: HO107; Piece: 1091; Book: 4, Folio:10; Page: 13 and in 1851 at Class: HO107; Piece: 1649; Folio: 190; Page: 6
    James and Sarah Boxall had 6 children but I cannot find what happened to Charles, William or Joseph ! Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

janbooth

Not too many records for a Charles BOXALL of Sussex on Ancestry, but there is a record in their Criminal Registers for a Charles BOXALL, aged 21, who along with a James BOXALL aged 29, and a couple of others, was found guilty at Sussex County Assizes on 16 March 1846 for setting fire to Furze growing.

There is also an Assisted Passenger List record of a Charles BOXALL, aged 20, a Farm Labourer, parents Charles & Sarah, living at Midlavent?, Sussex, who arrived at New South Wales on 30 March 1855 aboard the Bengal. Looking through the 1851 census of Mid Lavant, Sussex, brings up the following family (HO107/1652, folio 462, page 3):

Charles BOXALL Head Mar 55 Maltster Sussex Petworth
    Sarah do Wife Mar 50 do do
    William do Son Un 20 Farm Labourer do Mid Lavant
    George do Son Un 18 do do
    Charles do Son 15 Errand Boy do do
    Emily do Daur 13 do do
    Alfred do Son 10 Scholar do do

Perhaps a possibility worth consideration.

Janet

Thank you for your reply. This family is also a possibility although Charles' age doesn't match quite as well.
    I see that Charles' sister Emily also emigrated to NSW in 1855. She appears to have married and settled in Taree, NSW.

Name: Chas Boxall
    Estimated birth year: abt 1837
    Arrival Date: 15 Mar 1863
    Arrival Port: Hobsons Bay, Australia
    Departure Port: Port Chalmers
    Ship: Omeo
    Nationality: English
    Alma

Thank you, if this is "my" Charles he must have come back to NZ again. He was mining at Nokomai in Southland prior to his accident. An affadavit attached to his probate says that he was well known for the last 2 years, I am assuming in NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by KathNZ View Post
    Thank you, if this is "my" Charles he must have come back to NZ again. He was mining at Nokomai in Southland prior to his accident. An affadavit attached to his probate says that he was well known for the last 2 years, I am assuming in NZ.
    Port Chalmers was also mentioned in the newspaper account of his fatal accident. Perhaps he travelled backwards and forwards between Aus and NZ.
    Alma

Name well known on Brit-Gen

West Coast Times , Issue 51, 30 September 1865, Page 2 - Charles died on board the “Alhambra” on Sep 25th 1865 during a heavy storm.
    Otago Daily Times , 2 October 1865, Page 4 – Charles was a native of Sussex whose brother was on board, they were part of a party of miners en route to Hokitika.
    West Coast Times , Issue 2293, 15 April 1876, Page 2 – Charles’ gravestone is described as Charles Boxall aged 35 who met his death by accident on board the steamer Alhambra. (This grave marker no longer exists)
    Maybe it is late and I am not interpreting this correctly, however you have a 10 year gap between news events is this correct or a typo?

A form of ships manifest for the Alhambra....https://www.yesteryears.co.nz/shippin.../alhambra.html

No it is not a typo.
    The later news article was a report of a visit to the area that the graves were. This is the only mention I have been able to find of a grave marker over this grave, this is the first age I have been able to find for Charles.
    The adjoining grave of Claude Ollivier who died in 1862 is still well marked and well known. It has a wrought iron fence and a brass plaque.