Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Wilkes_ml

Most Family Tree software have 30 day trial versions that are worth trying first before you make any decisions, though I guess the trial versions may not have all features accessible.

FTM 2005 has a couple of features I really like, so I'll probably stay with it and 2011. They run happily side by side, and I don't need Anc to use them!
    My OPS file is massive, I won't go through the hassle of changing unless it's essential.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I ran my FTM 2012 yesterday with the internet disconnected, because I wanted to see how much of the file is actually there as opposed to "my back up" on Ancestry.

Everything I have loaded seems to be there. The big "missing" being records saved from Ancestry, which are there by reference number rather than copies of the documents. I'm not certain if this 100% per cent correct, but at least it is something to work on in the coming year. I.E. ensuring that I have another back up with copies of all the records saved from Ancestry. I was wondering what to do with those long cold winter nights!

Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    The big "missing" being records saved from Ancestry, which are there by reference number rather than copies of the documents. I'm not certain if this 100% per cent correct, but at least it is something to work on in the coming year. I.E. ensuring that I have another back up with copies of all the records saved from Ancestry.
    I'd read this thing somewhere else on this forum - that if you stop your Ancestry subscription you can no longer access the links to view - so I've already been saving images via the 'View' then 'Save to your computer' option.
    I've also been adding the images on my Ancestry pages via the 'Add Media' option on the Overview tab. This does make the info quicker to view again rather than reloading the image from the linked to reference.
    It can be a slow process and I'm prioritising with main info on main family members and working back. (I do get sidetracked sometimes though by where the family relationships take me!)
    An added benefit of this is that I've been reading more details of the addresses, occupations, ages etc and finding lots of details I would otherwise have glossed over. It all helps to flesh out details of their lives.

I expect the FTM will still work after the sync facility ends but that means manual entries. The big plus of using FTM is the auto sync with my Ancestry research. Guess I'll have to be doubly organised in future! D'oh!

Cheers, MTS

David Benson

I've used FTM for many years. It came on a couple of floppies originally.
    I didn't get every version, just when I wanted to upgrade. I've never had an ancestry sub. I do look in when it's free but add any finds manually and of course everything is on my computer. As long as the versions I have continue to work with Windows I have no need for any link with Ancestry. I can't recall finding anything new in the last couple of years anyway.

Whilst looking for information not related to FTM at all I came across a post by a disgruntled user of FTM in which he said he had switched over to RootsMagic and to his surprise, when he uploaded his gedcom file into RootsMagic, all of his photos, sources and notes were uploaded as well.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Wilkes_ml

I can confirm that when importing a GEDCOM file exported from Family Tree Maker 2012 to Roots Magic Trial version, the images do transfer also. However, when exporting a GEDCOM file from Ancestry online Tree into Roots Magic Trial version, the images DO NOT transfer. I have a bit of a hiccup where I accidentally created a second tree on Ancestry which is supposedly linked to FTM, however I can not find the original file through FTM 12 to synch the two trees...so I'm working to see if I transfer a GEDCOM file from Ancestry to FTM 12 if the images transfer also.

Wilkes_ml

When I tried to export a gedcom file from Ancestry online tree to FTM 12, the images didn't transfer over. However, synching the Ancestry online tree to FTM 2012 does transfer the images to FTM 2012 and these can then be exported via gedcom.

Kiltpin

The sync feature is the jewel in the crown of FTM. So much of my research on my wife's tree is done in churchyards and crypts and country lanes and industrial areas - places that don't have wifi. I can take pictures, write reports, amend the tree, do everything off-line and then later sync it to Ancestry.

I have found Find My Past to be far better for my tree which is East India Company based. So when 2016 comes to an end, so will my membership of Ancestry.

Regards

Kiltpin

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

On hearing about FTM, I scouted round for a different software and plumped for Roots Magic, which I am still getting to grips with, and at $20 couldn't complain. Their Face Book page is excellent, people reply quickly and are helpful and no negative reports!! The learning page on the website has lots of short helpful videos and 'webinairs'. The software connects to Family Search and other sites. So far am quite impressed. Only downside was, it appeared that the notes attached to my media didn't transfer with the GEDCOM, so am busy copying and pasting!! Still keeps me busy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast