Hi Barry

I haven't found anything that I am sure you have not already covered, although it helps to get to know the family to 'get a feel' for them - any information I have come across has not shed any light on John James Harper and his origins.

I see that they had a son in Winburg born 10th March 1876, Johannes Jakobus so another John James Harper to contend with. (original image of christening dated 16th September 1876 on familysearch). Father named as Jacobus Johannes Harper, Mother Maria Elizabeth Grabe, so he was not averse to being James John instead of John James.

The marriage certificate, the christening of Susan Maria Martha in 1871 and the son's baptism in 1876 give no clue do they? No witnesses that lead back to a Harper as far as I can tell. On familysearch there are some missing christenings for Winburg between 1873 and 1876 so perhaps another child is born in those missing pieces. Again this is information you will already have I would think.

There are a few leads to follow up on NAAIRS although that will mean a financial outlay.

I have had a google on some of the Irish genealogy sites but no John James Harper that I can find. Without some specific information, such as whereabouts in Ireland, or his origins being on a document in SA, it is difficult to know where to go next.

Mrs P