nicolet

Default Wyatt and Bunclarke Family

I am seeking some help in finding information regarding my ancestor George Wyatt.
    George married a Mary Bunclarke in 1813 in Ashburton Devon (I have the marriage banns) and had three children (possibly more?) Harriet, James and Charles.
    I have so far been unsuccessful in finding George's birthplace, birth date and also his death date and whom his parents were.
    His occupation was a chaise driver in 1813 through to 1817.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

janbooth

Well there do not appear to be any clues on his actual parish register marriage record except that it states he was of Ilsington. One of the witnesses looks to be a regular witness and the other was a John EALES. So far I have not found George & Mary WYATT on any census records, although son Charles looks to have stayed in Ashburton, nor can I find any burials for them at Ashburton.

FindmyPast have the actual parish register baptismal entries at Ashburton for the 3 children you have already, but there do not appear to be any more baptised at Ashburton.

I think I have found Mary BUNCLERK's actual parish register baptism at Staverton c1790 but I cannot find a likely baptism for George WYATT so far. So not much help for you at the moment, I am afraid.

Janet

nicolet

Default Wyatt/ Bunclarke Family

Hi Janet,
    Thanks for your help.
    I have a marriage certificate of Charles Wyatt marrying a Jane Gray. They emigrated to Australia in 1848. The witness you mentioned previously (John Eales) may have perhaps taken Jane and her siblings in when her mother died when they were three years old. I can't seem to find any evidence of that so far.
    James Wyatt appears to have stayed in England but I'm trying to find a little more about him. The other sister Harriet I haven't been able to track down so far as yet.

There's this burial

George Wyatt of Ashburton age 38, buried 21 Jun 1825 at Highweek

Harriet Wyatt father George a coachman, married John Palmer father John a labourer, 26th Oct 1850 at Parish Church Ealing.

1871, St Mary, Ealing Middlesex. RG10; Piece: 1318; Folio: 65; Page: 31

Jno Palmer 53, retired Innkeeper, Kent
    Harriet Palmer 48, Ashburton, Devon
    Wm Palmer 19, son, Rochester Kent
    Lydia Thompson 61, visitor, Brentford Middlesex
    Esther Wyatt 20, servant, Brentford

nicolet

Default Wyatt/Bunclarke Family

Thanks almach,
    The burial register for George Wyatt may possibly be right!
    I did find an entry for a Harriet Wyatt baptised in 1814 although this is in Islip Oxfordshire. The father listed is George Wyatt, however the mother is listed as Harriett so not sure if this is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by nicolet View Post
    Thanks almach,
    The burial register for George Wyatt may possibly be right!
    I did find an entry for a Harriet Wyatt baptised in 1814 although this is in Islip Oxfordshire. The father listed is George Wyatt, however the mother is listed as Harriett so not sure if this is correct.
    I'd say it's her, as in the census she says born Ashburton Devon, and the marriage certificate says father George a coachman, your George was a chaise driver which was a horse drawn carriage driver.

I did find an entry for a Harriet Wyatt baptised in 1814 although this is in Islip Oxfordshire.
    I don't understand your above, Nicolet.

'Your' Harriet was born Sept 1822, the census for 1871 gives her age as 48 which is correct for someone born 1822 in a month after the census was taken

janbooth

Well spotted almach! There is a Harriet WYATT, aged 20, not born in the county, working as a Female Servant in the household of a William SMITH & family at Torrington Street, Bloomsbury St George (HO107/672/7, folio 21, page 33) who could possibly be a candidate for your Harriet.

Janet

nicolet

Default Re Wyatt/Bunclarke Family

Sorry for any confusion almach,
    The Harriet born in 1814 threw me before I reread your reply on her 1822 baptism.
    Thanks Janet I shall have a look at the St George entry for Harriet too.