Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Correcting my records

I am in the process of compiling a book for my family regarding my Suffolk ancestors.
    I do not, at the present time, have a sub to research the 1851 and 1861 census.
    I am wondering if there is any kind person out there who could look up a reference for me.
    I need Edward Smith born 1780 in Walton. Living on The Street he is a wheelwright.
    I know he is living with two grandchildren and a house keeper but not sure if it was 1851 or 1861. I have documented 1851 but if so I fear I have the name of one of the children wrong.
    I have George and Emma in 1851 but as Emma was not born until 1852 I think that it should read Elvina aged about 4.

Many thanks for any help given.
    Marj.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Marj,

HO107/1801 folio 321 page 16
    Upper Street, Walton
    Edward Smith, head, widower, 68, wheelwright employing 1 man, Walton
    Emma Smith, grandaughter, 8, scholar, Walton
    George Hudson, grandson, 5, Kirton (Suffolk)
    Also in the household is Susan Goram, servant, widow, 63, housekeeper, Hangley

It definitely says Emma but if the enumerator was unfamiliar with the name Elvina he could easily have read it as Emma. If you scrawl, as oppose to write, Elvina and then half close your eyes you should be able to see how the ups and downs of the name could be mistaken for Emma. Especially if you do a bad loop on the 'l' and don't cross the 'i'.
    Does it help if the name is listed as Emma Smith born in Walton, or should the surname be Emma Hudson? I notice that in 1861 Elvina Hudson is born in Kirton, same place as George Hudson in 1851.

RG9/1168 folio 40 page 20
    Street, WALTON
    Edward Smith, head, widower, 80, wheelwright, Walton
    Elvina Hudson, granddaughter, 13, Kirton
    Still in the household is - Susan Gorham, housekeep, widow, 73, Walton

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Been doing a little more digging.

Presumably Edward's daughter is the Elizabeth Smith who married Daniel Hudson in December quarter 181, Woodbridge registration district,

In the 1851 census, they're living in Kirton, with daughters Laura aged 5 and Eliza aged 3.
    Elvina Hudson in 1861 is 13, which would marry up nicely with the age of Eliza in 1851.

So I reckon that Emma Smith aged 8 in 1851 is an 'undiscovered' granddaughter.

And Elvina Hudson aged 13 in 1861 has been transcribed by the enumerator as Eliza Hudson aged 3 in 1851.

Cenus ref for Daniel and Elizabeth in Kirton in 1851 is HO107/1801 folio 384 page 11

(I do hope you can follow my ramblings. )

Pam

Hi Pam

You have come to my rescue yet again.
    And hit the nail on the head. These families that use the same first names!!
    You are quite right.
    The Emma in 1851 is not from the Hudson family but obviously an Emma, daughter of Edwards son ,not his daughter who married Daniel Hudson.
    Elvina in 1861 is definatley mine and in 1851 was obviously still at home.
    My great grandmother was 10 at the time so was probably allocated to look after Elvina aged 4. Mother Elizabeth had just had a baby Ellen which died soon after birth.
    So... after that long winded explanaton I thank you very much as your help has saved me from entering into this book a gross error
    Could I be very cheeky and see if Elvina is at home in Kirton in 1851. Born 1847 Kirton Father Daniel Hudson born Kirton 1815 and Elizabeth born 1820 Walton. My great grandma should be there Laura aged 10

Thanks again Pam
    Yes Elvina did go by the name of Eliza that caused me some heart ache until I worked it out.
    There is no way I can work out Laura to be aged 5.
    Her death certificate has her 78 in 1920.
    Strangely there is no baptism or registration for Laura. ONLY baptisms for the two who died and George, No baptisms for Laura, Elvina or Emma. Elvina was later baptised at 16.

Quote Originally Posted by Dargie View Post
    Hi Pam

You have come to my rescue yet again.
    And hit the nail on the head. These families that use the same first names!!
    You are quite right.
    The Emma in 1851 is not from the Hudson family but obviously an Emma, daughter of Edwards son ,not his daughter who married Daniel Hudson.
    Elvina in 1861 is definatley mine and in 1851 was obviously still at home.
    My great grandmother was 10 at the time so was probably allocated to look after Elvina aged 4. Mother Elizabeth had just had a baby Ellen which died soon after birth.
    So... after that long winded explanaton I thank you very much as your help has saved me from entering into this book a gross error
    Could I be very cheeky and see if Elvina is at home in Kirton in 1851. Born 1847 Kirton Father Daniel Hudson born Kirton 1815 and Elizabeth born 1820 Walton. My great grandma should be there Laura aged 10
    See my post #3 which I posted while you were typing.

Meanwhile, I've just found Emma Smith in 1861. As you say, the daughter of Edward's son, another Edward.
    RG9/1168 folio 41 page 21
    Street, Walton (so living either a bit further down the road - or round the bend! - from his dad.)
    Edward Smith, head, widow, 46, wheelwright,
    Emma Smith, daughter, 19,
    Edward, son, 14, ag lab
    All born Walton

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Dargie View Post
    Thanks again Pam
    Yes Elvina did go by the name of Eliza that caused me some heart ache until I worked it out.
    There is no way I can work out Laura to be aged 5.
    Her death certificate has her 78 in 1920.
    Strangely there is no baptism or registration for Laura. ONLY baptisms for the two who died and George, No baptisms for Laura, Elvina or Emma. Elvina was later baptised at 16.
    Sorry. Me bad.
    Laura is given as age 8.

Pam

Thanks Pam for clearing all that up for me.
    I think Grandad Edward must have been a happy chappie! Seems as if his grandchildren thought so!
    Maybe that is why his granddaughter Laura's daughter, my grandmother, was the absolute best Grandma and loads of fun!