Nolindr

Default George Singleton - Victualler Liverpool 1862

My 2x ggf George Singleton was a licensed victualler 1862 to 1896 in Liverpool. According to an article in the Liverpool Daily Post of 28 Nov 1862 George was allowed his license, transferred from "Thomas Bunson deceased Queen Ann Street". Do you know what he had to pay to get the license? How do I find out the name? Hotel or Pub? In the directories it just gives his name, not a pub name. Any help or information appreciated!

Knowledgeable and helpful

Have you found him on a census at a pub? Very often, the pub name is in the address column, especially if his occupation is given as publican or licensed victualler. pwholt

Valued member of Brit-Gen

George's address according to the 1871 census was 2 & 4 Wakefield st, which , according to the Kellys 1894 directory, was called the Queen's Arms. It could have changed its name before 1894, but this seems a pretty traditional name, and I think is unlikely to be anything other than original

Knowledgeable and helpful

Forget that. In 1871 and 1881 he is in Wakefield St and in 1891 he is in Richmond Row, with no sign of a pub name in any of them. I wonder if the pub might have been in Wakefield St? I don't know the area at all, so don't know if it is purely residential or possibly has some commercial properties within it. pwholt

Nolindr

oh I see - I found Green's 1870 directory of Liverpool - private house section lists GS at 54 Roscommon: and Trade section lists GS victualler at "corner of Queen Anne". According to google maps, Queen Anne ends at Wakefield. So MikeJee, I guess it may be the one called the Queen's Arms? GS died 1896 at age 60, so I would assume he was still working in 1894. Thanks all!

Does anyone know if there is a Registry?

Reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know if there is a Registry?
    The law of 1872 required licensing registers to be maintained. Try Liverpool Archives (they have a research service)

Queen Anne Street ran originally between St Anne Street and Soho Street https://maps.nls.uk/view/101103932

Old Maps https://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.htm...1500/13/100871

The Queen Anne Hotel can be seen at the junction with Soho Street.

There are 2 unnamed pubs - simply marked "P.H" - one at the junction with St Anne St, the other with Wakefield St which runs North from Queen Anne St.
    (the "Old maps" zoom facility may not deliver a readable version - I used microsoft zoom to magnify)
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Nolindr

Thanks Peter, I'll check it out.

Nolindr

Thanks helachau - I had trouble seeing this map, but I did find an 1836 street plan map of Liverpool at Rumsey... (click open media in full view)
    https://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/serv...112:Liverpool-

Apologies for any problems with the "Old maps" URL. This was an 1889 map and the 2 pubs may not have existed back in '62.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"