robsnicta

Default Best Geneology Website

For the past 7 years I have been a member of Ancestry for my family history research and have let my membership lapse. I have read reports from previous members complaining about the huge membership rise for renewing members.

Can anyone recommend any good geneology websites please? I am sure in the past 7 years that more websites have come available.

Thanks
    Robsnicta

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Tell me how long a piece of string is, and we'll be able to answer your question.

It's a question frequently asked on BG, and there is no right answer for everyone, simply because the site which has all the records just doesn't exist. Nor ever will.

It depends on so many variables such as:
    what information are you still looking for?
    where are the people you're looking for likely to be living?
    what years are you searching?

The usual advice is to check out the 'main ones' such as Ancestry, FindMyPast (FMP), The Genealogist to see exactly which databases they have.
    Check out all the free ones - FreeREG, FreeCEN, FreeBMD, FamilySearch are the main ones which spring to mind.
    Check out the 'stickies' at the top of each BG forum (especially the county one), as well as the posts in the 'useful online resources' thread - you never know what little hidden gem you might find.

Consider using 'pay as you go' rather than an annual subscription. Basically more expensive, but could work out cheaper if you only want a few pieces of infomation from a site.
    Watch out for free access to Ancestry and FMP over times such as New Year, US Thanksving, etc.
    Check if your local library gives you access to Ancestry's library edition or FMP. You usually have to go to the library to access them, but it should be cheaper than a year's sub. Your library may also have access to old (local) newspapers, as well as sites such as The Times Digital Archive (which I can access at home through my library card) or 19th Century Newspapers (I can't remember the official title.)

Also see if you have a local LDS FHC. They usually have free access to either Ancestry or FMP, plus you can order in films from many parishes to peruse. Possibly films from all over the world, though I haven't ordered anything more exotic than Billinghay's (a village in Lincolnshire )

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

And don't forget about GOOGLE! Use village name,historical society,persons name etc.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

A previous thread on the subject.

https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...ebsite-is-best

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”