P. Copeland

Default Porter Manson (or Mansion) Flats

I posted this over in the 1939 Register forum/thread? Perhaps this is a better forum.

I have had some success with finding family in the 1939 Register. We have two brothers that give their occupations as 'Porter - Manson (or Mansion) Flats. It has been transcribed both ways. Anyone have any insight into this occupation and where they may have worked? One brother lived at 115 Bravington Road, Paddington, London and the other at Westhill, Wandsworth.

Hello
    I have deleted your post in the 1939 Register thread so people don't answer in two places or miss the answers here.

There are still advertisements for porters to work in blocks of flats today. some of them very posh residences. Some of the jobs are for porters to live at the premises others are live out positions.

It would seem that the brothers live at their own homes and share the job between them working different shifts?

If they both lived in the same registration district it would make for an easier search but the flats could be anywhere and there is only a facility for entering street names not house names.

This advertisement lists the job specifications for a resident porter today.
    https://www.
    totaljobs.com/JobSearch/JobDetails.aspx?JobId=63891448

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    and there is only a facility for entering street names not house names.
    I received the following reply from FMP in answer to a query about a similar problem.

On the advanced search function for the 1939 register, under 'person', you will find the option to enter a 'place keyword'.
    Here you can enter keywords such as a farm or house name.

Hope this is useful.

I'm afraid it didn't help in my search for Nethercott Farm/Cottages, Neen Savage, Shropshire.