Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by caperone View Post
    I haven't had much success with information from Scotland's People
    Could you specify what you have searched for exactly... From post#5 I gave you "the baptism of Robert Lawson took place at Dumfries 21st March 1800, son of John LAWSON" . This baptism is on Scotland's people, and the image needs to be downloaded with credits...have you done that yet and looked at the actual image?

caperone

Robert Lawson moved to Canada around 1824 and died there on Nov 28, 1874 age 76, I have been to the graveyard and it only gave his age as 76 (no place of birth) and Jane died on Aug 8, 1882 age 85y and 5. The church records were lost awhile ago during a flood. In the Canadian 1861 census he is listed as age 62. So his actual date of birth is now in question. On the Marriage Register it states Robert Lawson, Kirkwood and Jane Underwood Newton Lock 7 Jan , 1820.

Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by caperone View Post
    On the Marriage Register it states Robert Lawson, Kirkwood and Jane Underwood Newton Lock 7 Jan , 1820.
    Kirkwood, is a part of Dalton in Dumfries, just East of Dumfries and there is a Village called Newton just 13 miles north up the River Annan, so it's possible there was a place called "Newton Lock" nearby. Did the marriage register entry have any witnesses?

Secondly, Dumfries is only 8.8 miles from Kirkwood/Dalton and census ages can often be out by several years, so I still believe the 1800 baptism is highly likely to be the correct one. Even if Robert was born 1797-1799 his baptism could still be a little later...not everyone had their children baptised within weeks or months of birth.

caperone

I have their marriage certificate and only their names, location and date of marriage was given. I'll check Robert's birth record next.

caperone

I have checked the marriage certificate but it only gave the basic information. So disappointing!

As I pointed out in one of my how-to messages at the top of this forum, marriage certificates (and birth and death) didn't start in Scotland until 1855. Before that, we depend on the entry in the parish register, the content of which was entirely up to the Minister. I've seen entries naming parents and occupations, I have one entry from a seriously minimalist Minister who didn't even name the bride!
    Baptism entries may only name the father, both parents or even the name of whoever the child is called after.

caperone

I have his baptism from Dumfries 1800and it says - March 21,1800 baptised Robert Cairns Lawson lawful son of John Lawson, merchant. No mother given

Since he was a merchant and might have some worldly goods I then went on to see if I could find a will for John Lawson. I discovered a John Lawson merchant in Annan who died in Oct 9, 1817. I have downloaded it but since I am having considerable difficulity reading it I am still plodding through the details to see if this is a connection.

Scotlands People has a section (with other links) to help with old handwriting, HERE. Clerks in the early 19th century and before used a lot of standard abbreviations (a bit like modern shorthand), which can make life difficult.

caperone

Thanks, it's not the style of writing I'm having a problem with but the quality of the document.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12