Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Help With Another Name in Will

Okay, this will is dated 1638, and I'm trying to positively identify the surname of the person's sister, brother-in-law, and niece. It looks like "Bumplin" to me, but I haven't been very little about this surname: at FindMyPast I was about to find a grand total of one baptism dating to 1877, and not much more at Ancestry. I'm really hoping I'm wrong and it turns out to be a more common surname!

Interesting. One of the Bumplins on Ancestry is likely to be Brumpton instead: I compared a baptism of a person to their entry in the bdm index. Could that be the name?

What about Bennington? There is a dot above some of the letters which would indicate an i in the name, and ns tend to run together in the middle of a name. pwholt

Not sure. It really looks like a "p" to me, not a "g", especially comparing it to the "p" in the word "upholding" further down in the document. But it's worth considering. Thanks.

Okay, if the tailed letter is a p, then I think the next letter is an a. Look at the first letter of the words and, and you will see the same long stroke up where modern use makes it curve. The last letter might be a w or possibly an n. pwholt

janbooth

Could it perhaps be BRIMPTON? You don't say whose Will it is, or what area of the country they are living in, but for example there is an Humphrey son of John BRIMPTON baptised in Meare, Somerset in 1617. Also lots of BRUMPTON baptisms in Lincolnshire in the early 1600s. I think the letter after the "p" is more likely to be a "t" as the letter "l" normally has a distinctive loop at the top.

Janet

Could be. Thanks everyone.

It's the will of Elizabeth Rushall of Hampton Lovett, Worcestershire