Default Edward Bowmaker arr Cape Colony Sept 1858

Hello - I have done much research on this man, my Great grandfather and I know (from the Ancestry 24 site) that he arrived in the Cape in September 1858. What I would love to know is the name of the ship he arrived on and any other detail.

Also, my great granny, Elizabeth Lindsey travelled to the Cape with her sister Harriet. They arrived in time for Elizabeth to marry Edward in February 1860. They had 7 children, 5 of whom survived and returned to England with Elizabeth after Edward's death due to an unmentionable disease and alcohol - ha! What a star.

Again, I would love to have any details of the name of the ship Elizabeth sailed out on in (or around) 1860, and the name of her homeward bound ship in 1876.

Many thanks in anticipation
    Triff61

Brick wall demolition expert!

The passenger lists that Ancestry has are:

UK, Outward Passenger Lists, 1890-1960
    UK, Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960

This link to the National Archives may help you:
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...assenger+lists

Thank you , Megan, but sadly my lot had died or left by then. I need to get at a copy of Esme Bull's book!

Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

The South African free website has started to transcribe shipping lists and there are a couple of Elizabeth Lindsays arriving in 1859/60 so worth a look. I am new to the forum so I am not sure if I can actually mention the website by name or post a link.

I think they may have arrived on the Lord Raglan.
    Last edited by MrsPoppy; 28-10-2015 at 1:39 PM. Reason: mistake

Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

A Harriet Lindsay, aged 29, single housemaid, arriving at Table Bay, sailed 20th July 1859 from Southampton on the Lord Raglan, destination Claremont. Elizabeth Lindsay ditto except aged 21.

From Esme Bull: Aided Emigration to South Africa 1857-1867

Edward BOWMAKER (21), whitesmith, from Middlesex, travelling to Mossel Bay, sailed on the Edward Oliver, dep Liverpool 9 July 1858 arr Table Bay 12 September 1858. 473 immigrants on board. The accommodation on board was superior but there was an excessive amount of illness, and 15 passengers died. The surgeon was accused of negligence and was said "not to have been completely sober during the whole voyage".

Harriet LINDSAY (29), housemaid, travelling with Elizabeth LINDSAY (21), housemaid, from Middlesex, travelling to Bishop Gray, Claremont (Elizabeth to Mrs FRERE), sailed on the Lord Raglan, dep Southampton 20 July 1859 arr Table Bay 23 September 1859. 273 immigrants on board. 4 births and 0 deaths during voyage. The ship carried a very respectable class of immigrant.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

If you don't already have them, Edward Bowmaker's will and death notice are available. Go to the NAAIRS website and click on RSA, then enter Bowmaker under Search
    Sue Mackay

Default Thank you,Sue

Thank you so much for this information. I knew that Elizabeth Lindsey travelled with her sister, Harriet who died in 1873 in the Cape, but it is terrific to know the ships they travelled on.
    Do you know how to get copies of the documents listed under the NASA site? I know that getting copies of marriage certificates and the like is almost impossible.
    Again, thanks

Sadly the documents are at the Cape Archives, where digital photography is banned, so the eggsa volunteers cannot do it for you. I believe that the Cape Archives offer their own copying service, but it is probably time consuming and expensive. I was fortunate to get my digital copies when eggsa could do it for me! Your best bet is to get someone in Capetown to go to the archives on your behalf and make a transcript. I have sent you a PM with a researcher I can recommend if you don't know anyone.
    Sue Mackay

Thank you very much - I have family in the Cape, but they're actually based in Jo'burg. It's a pity - the New Zealand records people are amazingly quick and good value - they completed a search for me and found my great uncle and his ultimate death. I had not a lot of detail to go on for them. Highly recommended!