Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1939 Register

Famous for offering help & advice

Default 1939 Register

Monday 2nd November 2015, the 1939 Register will be made available online for the very first time,on Findmypast

Knowledgeable and helpful

The 1939 will be online on Monday 2nd November.
    It will not be part of the subscription service

Records will be available to purchase for £6.95 per household or £24.95 for our 5 household bundle (£4.99 per household).

For more details use the online FAQs at
    ttp://tinyurl.com/pnju4y3

Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Guy, am I right in thinking that this does not include Scotland?

BTW, I think that you were instrumental in getting this release... Well done and congrats!

Brick wall demolition expert!

I also think that I read somewhere that it will not include details of people born after 1915 who died after 1970.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    I also think that I read somewhere that it will not include details of people born after 1915 who died after 1970.
    It was updated until 1990 from what I read earlier, though feel free to correct me if I'm wrong....

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quite a bit about the Register and what details you should be able to see in the latest Lost Cousins newsletter.
    https://lostcousins.com/newsletters2/lateoct15news.htm

Also details about Scotland and Northern Ireland not being covered, but accessing those records.

There's also details about talks being given by Myko Clelland from FMP at various places, to which can be added Lincoln 13 November. St Peter & St Paul Parish Centre, Skellingthorpe Road at 2.30. Free entry, refreshments. https://www.
    lincolnshirefhs.org.uk/images/lfhs-events/1939talk.pdf

Pam
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 27-10-2015 at 6:39 PM. Reason: Added paragraph about talks

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Guy, am I right in thinking that this does not include Scotland?

BTW, I think that you were instrumental in getting this release... Well done and congrats!
    Thank you.
    No Scotland comes under different laws than England and Wales and anyone wishing to get information from the 1939 National Registration of Scotland will still have to apply through New Register House, Edinburgh.
    You can however download application forms.
    The cost for an individual entry (not a household unlike FMP online who supply a household for £6.95) is £15 with £5 being kept if they cannot find what you are looking for.

Megan, full details of what is available will be given and if proof of death is required on Monday 2nd when the 1939 is released.
    If it is known the people concerned are deceased there should be no problem releasing the information.
    I would imagine in some cases (such as a death overseas) proof might be required first.

Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    A little more info from FMP about this Megan
    "Anyone who was noted in the Register as having died will have their record open, or will have a record that we can open. For anyone still living, it's a case of submitting a subject access request. We'll have more information about this, but it's something out of our control"

Hope this helps
    Cheers
    Guy

Brick wall demolition expert!

Findmypast now have an official announcement:
    https://blog.findmypast.co.uk/announ...424355718.html

Its worth scrolling down to the bottom to see all the complaints about the cost and then their frankly fanciful "justification" for why it is not included in everyone's subscription: https://www.findmypast.com/frequently...y-subscription

I have just read one post that I think will be of interest, and sums up the public's reaction to charging and having to prove people are dead (death certificates):
    "So my father's family - where there were 4 siblings, 3 of them with their spouses, plus his parents, so 9 in all - I'd have to go to the expense of purchasing all 9 death certificates so I can see the information in full? Plus the £6.95 fee to Find My Past - that's over £100 for the one piece of information."
    Last edited by Megan Roberts; 27-10-2015 at 6:50 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Have you thought how many millions of pounds findmypast has had to pay to enable them to scan, transcribe and index these records plus the cost of hosting them online?

Have you thought of how much they have to pay as a licence fee every year to host these records?

If you think back to the 1911 census brought online by Findmypast, Ancestry dropped out of bidding for the 1911 due to costs only FMP had the guts to put their money where their mouth was and finance the digitisation of the 1911 census.
    They took a big gamble then and have taken an even bigger gamble now in an effort to bring up to date records to the genealogist.

Now because of their gamble you can access the 1911 census as part of the subscription on a number of online sites.

Cheers
    Guy

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast