Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1939 Register

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

It's live!

Found my mum's mum, but with three children 'closed', so will have to send their death certificates.
    Also found my dad's parents, with the added bonus of a great granny and grandad on the same page. I'd forgotten that they lived either next door/next door but one.

The good news is that once you've viewed a household any further views (i.e. after you've unlocked additional people) are free.

Suddenly realised that it's no good searching for my mum's grandparents as they were all deceased by 1939, so Plan B is for aunties and uncles.

Pam

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

When you 'unlock the household' do make sure that you scroll down past the transcription, right to the bottom of the page.

Pam

Knowledgeable and helpful

Tip married women seem to be indexed under their married name rather than their maiden name though whether that is only women who married before 1939 I have yet to check
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Devonmade

So do you have to pay again for the three closed children at the same address, when they are unlocked. This locking seems random I have one uncle who only died 2007 included and others who have been long gone not mentioned. His obituary was in the newspaper, perhaps that made a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonmade View Post
    So do you have to pay again for the three closed children at the same address, when they are unlocked. This locking seems random I have one uncle who only died 2007 included and others who have been long gone not mentioned. His obituary was in the newspaper, perhaps that made a difference.
    No once they are unlocked you can see them without paying again
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Famous for offering help & advice

Well my Dad was born in 1938 and is still alive. His parents born 1910 & 1909 after searching separately are not easily to be found. His Father was in the RAF and on the 9th September 1939 was stationed at Harwell Buckinghamshire according to his service record. Needless to say I can't find either him or his wife! I have tried just searching under surname and year of birth - and nothing either. Were military personnel excluded?!! (Found my Mothers side instantly - 2 showings and 6 exclusions - 2 of 6 are deceased).

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch in Notts View Post
    Well my Dad was born in 1938 and is still alive. His parents born 1910 & 1909 after searching separately are not easily to be found. His Father was in the RAF and on the 9th September 1939 was stationed at Harwell Buckinghamshire according to his service record. Needless to say I can't find either him or his wife! I have tried just searching under surname and year of birth - and nothing either. Were military personnel excluded?!! (Found my Mothers side instantly - 2 showings and 6 exclusions - 2 of 6 are deceased).
    Yes military and Merchant Marine were excluded from the 1939 National Registeration except in a few circumstances
    Cheers
    Guy

Famous for offering help & advice

Guy,

Thanks. Do you know therefore if their spouses are excluded?

Thanks

Mitch

PS for general - just searched for an uncle born 1922, died 1970. He is still closed!

Starting to feel at home

Of course, there can be limited value in simply looking for a relative without paying for the record.
    For example, my family research began because my mum wanted to know anything possible about a long-lost 'brother', rumoured to have gone to South Africa (now denied by his son). He was born, after 1911, in the north of England but married in the south. I have not been able to find him between these dates. The 1939 Register shows him in Sunbury on thames (which is the only possible record shown which sort of fits with his marriage after WW11). So, for example, the field for inspecting Electoral Rolls has narrowed considerably. It also may suggest that he did not, as I wondered, run off to Ireland to avoid conscription.
    Good, innit?
    And now - off the National Archives soon, I hope, after which I will report back on the availability there.

Very quick off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch in Notts View Post
    Guy,

Thanks. Do you know therefore if their spouses are excluded?
    According to Find My Past:

"However, the records do include members of the armed services on leave and civilians on military bases."

I can't see any mention of family members, but maybe they are included in the civilians.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast