Whistle

Default John Astley COOPER - not honoured

I have been trying to find my relative John Astley COOPER in the honour lists, without any luck.

He was born in Albany Western Australia in 1918 and arrived in London on the "Maloja" on 10 Dec 1937.
    His intention was to join the RAF, which I'm assuming he did, although I cannot find any records for this.
    He died on 20 Dec 1938 in the Pwllhehi district, Caernarvonshire, Wales during training exercises, when two RAF aircraft collided mid-air.

There is no mention of him in any of the lists I've searched, not even to say he had joined the RAF. Am I looking in all the wrong places? Any help would be appreciated.
    Christine

Reputation beyond repute

I don't know what you mean by "honour lists".

Service records for this period have not been released by the Ministry of Defence. You have to apply.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

What does it say about him on the death certificate? Rank? Service number?

While you're waiting for his records to arrive, have a look at the newspapers of the time.... There might be a report.

Newspaper reports from various newspapers around the country all saying basically the same thing. Two planes, training, collided.
    John Astley Cooper was an acting pilot officer attached to the Tyrne Hill Squadron. The accident happened between 8 and 9am 11Oct 1938. One man did get his parachute open and survived.

A report on the accident on the Trove Australian newspaper website Here
    As with the British papers there are reports of the accident in many Australian newspapers.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by Whistle View Post
    I have been trying to find my relative John Astley COOPER in the honour lists, without any luck.

Christine
    War was not declared until 1939 if that is where you have been looking.

ross_mcneill

This is the Course photo from No.10 Flying Training School.

https://www.rafaircraftaccidents.com/DSCF2235.JPG
    (Image is my Copyright from AIR29/568 at The National Archives, all rights reserved)

He is front centre. The other men killed in the accident are also in the photo.

Ross