Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default SAMUEL CRAWCOUR AKA JOHN SMITH- CONVICT

Several years ago ( 2009) I posted a thread on Samuel Crawcour and Aaron Crawcour- Convicts on the Jewish Roots Forum. In the thread, I wrote brief data on Samuel Crawcour aka John Smith ( and other alias) born circa 1805-1808 died date unknown and place unknown. In the first post I recorded how Samuel had been transported twice, the first in 1825 to Bermuda for 7 years and then later in 1840 for 15 years to Tasmania. I also recorded that he had married Caroline Gant and had two children both placed in an orphanage when the marriage failed.
    The addition of new records has brought up the strong possibility that Samuel had an earlier marriage and 3 children. The new records also indicated that he had been in the workhouse on several occasions in the early 1820s.
    It should be strongly emphasised that this is a work in progress and I will post a range of UK and Australian data on Samuel, his siblings and parents.
    The London Workhouse Admissions and Discharge Records show entries for Samuel Crawcour the first on 16 July 1821 where he is recorded as Discharged but recorded as 1 child above 8 ( he is not placed in the adult male category). The entries are all for the Tower Hamlets Stepney Workhouse. He was admitted on April 14 1822- discharged 18 April 1822 and Admitted 7 April 1823 where he is recorded as Adult male.
    The Old Bailey Trial for Samuel CORCORAN age 23 `19 May 1825 for theft included reference by a witness of the defendant calling himself Croker and stating he lived at 8 New Street. The defendant was sentenced to 7 years transportation. The Criminal Register recorded that Samuel Corcoran was 23 alias Croker and had been in Newgate before. In 1821 Samuel Crawcour age 13 Degree of Instruction Imperfect was acquitted of theft but also noted that he had been in Newgate before.
    By 1840 Samuel Crawcour was tried and found guilty of theft at the Old Bailey 6 April 1840 age 36 and given 6 months imprisonment. Six months later and calling himself John Smith he was found guilty of theft at the Central Criminal Court ( Old Bailey) 23 November 1840. This time a policeman recognised John as Samuel Crawcour. Samuel aka John Smith received 15 years transportation to Tasmania.

Reviewing the London Workhouse Admissions and Discharges I noted an entry for Catherine Crawcour with 3 children - 1 girl; 1 infant girl; 1 infant boy admitted to the Tower Hamlets Workhouse Stepney 19 May 1832. This entry was important because the name was a 'new' Crawcour unknown to me.
    Researching further, I discovered in the London Selected Poor Law Removal and Settlement Records the record for Catherine Crawcour age 24 and 3 children ( not named) 24 May 1832 "Refused from Whitechapel upon a settlement by her her husbands father renting in Commercial Road where he now resides. The husband is now in Liverpool and co-habiting with another woman and goes under various names".

Who Catherine Crawcour was and who her children were remains unknown. However, it is my belief that the husband of Catherine was Samuel Crawcour aka John Smith and that he is also Samuel Corcoran alias Croker. His father was Isaac Crawcour surgeon dentist and his mother Simha aka Semira Cohen De Lara.
    I will post further.
    Phillip

When Isaac Crawcour father of Samuel aka John Smith died in 1837 he was living at 8 Commercial Road St.George in the East ( see Cemetery Scribes Person ID 7030 and Synagogue Scribes Will Extracts). The Local and Personal Laws. Part 1 p 24 1884 ( Google Books snippet) records- 1 March 1809 Block G No 16- 98 years ( Lease) from Christmas 1808 "A piece of ground on the north side of Commercial Road, in the Hamlet of.." Isaac Crawcour Rent £4 12 6. He also had land adjoining Suffolk Street 7 March 1810.

In the Settlement record for Catherine Crawcour and her 3 children #1 reference was made to the not named father of the not named husband of Catherine as residing in Commercial Road. Based on the current data it is my belief that Samuel Crawcour was the husband of Catherine and Isaac was his father. The other siblings of Isaac were ruled out because of their own marriages and records of who they married.
    Phillip

When Abraham Cohen De Lara the father of Simha died in 1829 he left bequests to his grandchildren and named them as the children of Simha and Isaac Crawcour- the names of the grandchildren were Ann; Abraham; Sarah; Henry; Harriott; Solomon and Edward. Solomon was Charles Crawcour. No reference was made of Samuel who by that time had been transported.
    This may account for Samuel being 'written out' of the family history and seeking Poor Law relief and then stealing.
    Phillip

In the original Tasmanian Convict Records ( online) the data on Samuel Crawcour aka John Smith contains the following descriptions and accounts- John Smith Trade Waiter; physical description 5 feet 6 inches; age 37; complexion dark; head large;hair dark brown; whiskers black; visage long; eyes grey; mouth large; chin large; nose large. Born Whitechapel. Tattoos - SC 26 December 1825; M B woman on right arm; heart, ISCCECACHC ( these are the initials of his parents Isaac; Semira and siblings); x with 2 dots at each point; 4/7/1845 W?B?.
    Protestant; can't read or write. There are a significant number of recorded offences and punishments. The notes also record his convictions and what he stole and when. The notes include .." Once transported to Bermuda for 7 years 1825 served 5 years. Single Proper name Samuel Crawcour. General Conduct Troublesome". Record CON27/1/9

An earlier record for Samuel Corcoran alias Crocker on another site shows he was on the Dromedary Prison Hulk.

Phillip

The Tasmanian Archives records show the Permission to Marry for Caroline Gant Convict - Ship Sir Robert Seppings and John Smith Ship Layton -Free. They were married at St John's Parish Church Launceston Van Diemen's Land
    John Smith 43 Free bachelor made his x mark; Caroline Gant 22 Prisoner spinster made her x mark- 20 February 1854
    Reference RGD37/1/13 no 871.
    Caroline Gant had been in the service of John Smith 13/10/1852 Marchington near Launceston. She had arrived in Tasmania 8/7/1852.
    The children of John Smith aka Samuel Crawcour and Caroline Gant were John Samuel Smith and William Smith. William was born 7 July 1856. The two children were placed in the Queen's Orphanage Launceston when their parents separated. The records show Application for Admission Queen's Orphan School SWD 26/1/2/p416- John Smith and Caroline GRANT August 1859- John Samuel Smith 4 years 7 mths 24 days Baptised; William Smith 3 yeras 1 mth 13 days - father's residence Luanceston Religion Protestatnt Bond free from servitude 1855 Trade and Occupation Cook and Waiter; mother Caroline Grant Residence "Cressy" Sir Robert Seppings .
    Phillip

Australian Birth Index- Samuel Smith b 24 December 1854- parents written as John SMETH and Caroline GRANT- Launceston Tasmania Registration Year 1855; William Smith b 7 July 1856 parents John Smith and Caroline Grant Launceston Tasmania

Phillip

grannyant

Hello Phillip,
    Love your work - ThankYou ThankYou ThankYou!
    I'm writing in hope that you may know a little more of Caroline Gant's partners and children.
    I hit a wall with our Alexander "John" Coffey m.451/1887 Mary Ann Williams, but in the dark re his birth/death until recently when I came across his obituary as John A Coffey, 1923, which mentioned "..Mesdames H Smedley (Stanley) and S Wilton (Devonport) are sisters".
    Emily Jane "Eliza" Coffey m.91/1892 Samuel Wilton., however her birth 765/1873 was in the name of Eliza Ann Emily Jane Stanley; also, John Alexander Stanley b.733/1868, and Harriet Isabella Stanley b.724/1870 - all showing parents as John Stanley and Caroline Gant.
    From the birth certificate, I understand that Caroline registered her dau Harriett Isabella's child, as May Coffey in 1892, Caroline showing herself as Mrs Caroline Coffey, grandmother., May's mother shown as Harriett Isabella Coffey, father, Coffey Unknown., as was on the birth registration for a second child of Harriett's, John Reuben Coffey 459/1895.
    Harriett Isabella Stanley m.890/1897 William John Smedley and John Reuben and Matilda May were brought up as Smedleys; Matilda May Smedley m.1333/1916 Albert W C Holmes; and John Reuben Smedley served in WW1, Service No.810, Next of Kin, Harriet Isabella Smedley.
    As yet, I haven't been able to turn up anything on either John Stanley or Mr Coffey (apart from being cited as parents), nor any other marriages for Caroline aft John Smith, which makes me wonder if John Stanley and Mr Coffey aren't more aliases of John Smith?
    Such an intriguing tangle.
    Please, are you able to shed any light on Caroline's men, and her 2 sons with John Smith after the orphanage, or perhaps offer some direction... I'd be most appreciative.
    I'll keep my fingers, toes and eyes crossed.
    Leslie

Dundee10

Hi Leslie,

Just a few corrections....

Quote Originally Posted by grannyant View Post

Emily Jane "Eliza" Coffey m.91/1892 Samuel Wilton., however her birth 765/1873 was in the name of Eliza Ann Emily Jane Stanley; also, John Alexander Stanley b.733/1868, and Harriet Isabella Stanley b.724/1870 - all showing parents as John Stanley and Caroline Gant.

Leslie
    This family lived at Forest, Horton, now named Circular Head.

The birth registrations actually show the mother as Caroline HARRIS formerly GANT. Caroline registered the births as Caroline HARRIS, likely indicating that she was not married to John STANLEY.

There was a child born in Horton in 1866 - Ann Maria HARRIS, daughter of William HARRIS a brickmaker, and Caroline HARRIS formerly GRANT.

Quote Originally Posted by grannyant View Post
    May's mother shown as Harriett Isabella Coffey, father, Coffey Unknown., as was on the birth registration for a second child of Harriett's, John Reuben Coffey 459/1895.

Leslie
    There is no "father, Coffey Unknown" on the birth registration, the column for the father's name is blank.

Edit: Just adding that when Harriet married William SMEDLEY she named her mother as Caroline HARRIS.

Hi Dundee and Lesley
    I have just read your posts and think that further research is needed to clarify the relationships and names. I have never seen a marriage record for John Stanley and bearing in mind that the 2 children of John Smith aka Crawcour were placed in an orphanage I doubt that John Smith and John Stanley are one in the same. As for the Harris name it appears that these are illegitimate children- where did the name Coffey come from?
    Phillip

grannyant

Hello Dundee, thank you for the corrections...
    Not having sited the birth certificates, I had no idea who actually registered the births of John, Harriett and Eliza... so, Thank you.

Re Harris - a member at Ancestry emailed me Caroline's death date, and burial place, but she hadn't been able to verify it, saying "it seems her maiden name is Gant with a married name of Harris", but after a quick run around the traps, nothing popped up... then just the other day she came back to me with the name William, but I haven't had a chance to check him out yet, so now William, and Ann Maria, are on the list... thank you again.

Re: Emily Jane Eliza Coffey/Stanley:
    I came across these BDM Indexes at Ancestry:

Australia, Birth Index
    Name: Eliza Ann Emily Jane Stanley
    Birth Date: 23 Mar 1873
    Father's name: John Stanley
    Mother's name: Caroline Grant
    Birth Place: Tasmania
    Registration Year: 1873
    Registration Place: Horton, Tasmania
    Registration Number: 765

Australia, Marriage Index
    Name: Samuel Wilton
    Spouse Name: Emily Jane Eliza Coffey
    Marriage Date: 24 Nov 1892
    Marriage Place: Tasmania
    Registration Place: Emu Bay, Tasmania
    Registration Year: 1892
    Registration Number: 91

Re: Harriett Isabella's daughter May

I came across May Coffey's birth at linctas:

Record Type: Births
    Name: Coffey, May
    Father: Coffey, Name Not Recorded
    Mother: Coffey, Harriet Isabella
    Date of birth: 01 Sep 1892
    Registration year: 1892
    Record ID: NAME_INDEXES:1046626
    Resource: RGD33/1/73 no 611

Re: Caroline Coffey, grandmother, registering May's birth
    - this info was passed to me by the same member of Ancestry, who apparently took this info from the birth certificate.

and...Hello Phillip, thanks for getting back to me - thought it might be a long shot, me hoping Stanley and Coffey were more aliases for John Smith/Crawcour... thought p'raps they might've hit hard times, or maybe he'd been taken off to goal again.

The Coffeys run into my family tree in at least 3 different spots, through marriages, and although not directly related, I am very close friends with the GGSon of Alexander "John" Coffey.

I was only able to turn up his marriage, no birth or birthplace, nor death, and no joy either in the convict records or passenger lists, so turned to Trove, and ran into the Stanleys:

1. The North Western Advocate and the Emu Bay Times (Tas. : 1899 - 1919)
    Wednesday 12 March 1913 p2
    STANLEY
    Walter Blizzard was charged with at the Police Court on Monday neglecting to send Olive Coffey to school, he being her lawful guardian, and pleaded guilty to the charge.
    The information was afterwards withdrawn, and J Coffey, the father, was made responsible for the custody of the child.

2. Circular Head Chronicle (Stanley, Tas. : 1906 - 1954)
    Wednesday 25 July 1923 p5
    Obituary.—The death occurred on Monday night, week at Devon Hospital, Latrobe, Of Mr. John A.Coffey; after a short illness. Deceased, who was 56 years of age, was well-known at Forest having resided there practically all his life.
    The late Mr. Coffey was a widower for 18 years. A family of two sons and three daughters are left to mourn his loss. One son (William) was killed at the War, and lies buried in France. Mesdames H. Smedley (Stanley) and S. Wilton (Devonport)' are sisters.

then Harriett:

Advocate (Burnie, Tas. : 1890 - 1954)
    Monday 8 February 1954 p12
    LATE DEATH NOTICE
    STROUD - On February 7, 1954, at 29 Lawrence street, Launceston, Laura Jane, be-loved wife of the late Thomas Webster Stroud, beloved sister of Emily (Mrs. Wood, dec.), Harriett (Mrs. Smedley, dec.), Frank (dec.), John (dec.), Ar-thur (dec.), Charles (dec.), Su-sana (Mrs. Henson) and Alice, beloved auntie of Linda and daughter of the late Charles and Susana Powell, Deloraine. In her 95th year. Safe in God's keeping.

from familysearch.org:
    Australia Marriages, 1810-1980," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTZX-V97 :
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number M31048-6
    System Origin Australia-ODM
    GS Film number 1368308
    Alexander John Coffey and Mary Ann Williams, 04 Mar 1887; citing , Tasmania, Australia, reference ; FHL microfilm 1,368,308.

from Linctas:

Record Type:Marriages
    Name: Coffey, Alexander John
    Spouse: Williams, Mary Ann
    Date of marriage :04 Mar 1887
    Registration year: 1887
    Record ID: NAME_INDEXES:903877
    ResourceRGD37/1/46 no 451

from Ancestry:
    Australia, Birth Index,
    Name: John Alexander Stanley
    Birth Date: 15 May 1868