Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Wilkes_ml

Re #3 I finally had a reply from Canterbury Cathedral Archives who confirmed that Mary SMITH was buried 30th October 1862 at the age of 100 years and 11 months.

They also gave me the date of her entry in the Kentish Gazette on 28th October 1862

which puts her date of birth as 14th November 1761!

and on the same page

janbooth

I wonder if Edward SMITH was just missed off the 1841 or was perhaps in a hospital somewhere as I am having no luck finding him in the 1841 census records at all. There is however a newspaper article in the Kentish Gazette dated 4 August 1840 where an Edward SMITH of Wingham won 7th prize for his Cottage Garden and received the sum of 4 shillings. He must have been quite a good gardener because he also won a prize in 1844 for the best cabbage in the Cottager's section. So if this is your Edward he was certainly around in Wingham between 1840 & 1844.

Janet

Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    I wonder if Edward SMITH was just missed off the 1841 or was perhaps in a hospital somewhere

Janet
    I suspect that is the case, or he was visiting another family member and missed off the 1841 census. he didn't die until 1856, and is with his wife Mary in the 1851 census. Mary is listed without him in 1841. If he was in a hospital, I'd expect it to be the Union district workhouse infirmary, as being labourers. I'll have to manually search for the workhouse and double check it.

Wilkes_ml

For some odd reason I don't appear to have Edward's death certificate, but I have his date of death from the Kentish Gazette dated 2nd September 1856

He was buried at Wingham 26th August 1856

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12