rodgebhardt

Default Chaplin to Peddie

Good Afternoon all,
    I have recently been plotting my late wife's family, the CHAPLIN's, who originated from Scotland.
    I have found on one of many internet sites that a certain John CHAPLIN in Angus, Scotland in 1848 married Janet PEDDIE.
    One of their children, John CHAPLIN who in Dundee, Scotland on 30 July, 1874 married Ann Kerr FOWLER, my wife's g grandmother.
    My interest here is two fold, first to try and build the PEDDIE family on both sides of Janet and secondly to trace where the KERR family links with the CHAPLINs.
    Kerr as a given name occurs quite regularly within the family.
    To further muddy the waters, I found that the KERRs (later a section of the family became CARR) originated in Ireland? This I would like to prove, one way or the other.
    Could there be a link between Janet and Colonel PEDDIE who came out to SA and after whom Fort Peddie was named.
    Again thanks to all for their advice and help.

I suggest that you take a look at the collection of "how to" messages at the top of the General Scottish forum HERE.
    It looks to me as though the link to the Kerrs came from the Fowlers rather than the Chaplins.

If it was my search, I would look for the family in the censuses, and also look for Janet's death certificate. To get you started, there's one record for a Janet Chaplin & Peddie in 1899 in Glamis, Angus, aged 78. BMD certificates can only be obtained (downloaded) from Scotlands People in return for a small payment. I just searched on the 2 surnames to avoid the confusion around the name Janet/Jean/Jane/etc.

Confusingly, the 1891 and 1861 census show that her husband was David, not John. They did have a son called John, b. 1850.
    Where did you find your data? Not all sites can be trusted.

If you are sure that John C who married Ann KF is correct, start with her marriage certificate as this will confirm the names of the parents.

What were Col Peddie's names?

It is always dangerous to generalize about the originals of scottish surnames. Kerr and Carr are essentially the same name, it's not a matter of a section breaking off. People's approach to name spelling pre-WW1 was just fuzzy. Black's "Surnames of Scotland" says that the name originates in the Borders (ie Scotland/England). The earliest record of the name is Johannes Ker in 1190. Other spellings at different times include Kaur, Kare, Karr, Car, Cerr. There's a list of other records, mainly across the Border counties but also up to Edinburgh.

I see from the 1881 census that John (b. abt 1850, Glamis) & Ann Chaplin (b. abt 1855, Tealing) were living in Dundee. he was a stone mason. 4 kids - Jessie (5), David (4), Isabella, Annie (6mths). {and another 4 by 1891).
    Census ages are always a bit approximate, but if she WAS b. 1855, you're in luck as the 1855 certificates were the most informative produced - they got carried away when they were introduced. At the least, it should not only give her parents' names, but also when & where they married.

rodgebhardt

On 29 January, 2015 I received an email from Peter ELLIOTT who says he had done some research in Scotland and found the following:
    1. David CHAPLIN
    Who in Angus, Scotland in 1848 married Janet PEDDIE
    Known child of David and Janet:
    1.1John CHAPLIN married in Dundee, Scotland on 30 July, 1874 to Ann Kerr FOWLER

Lesley could this be a link to your family?

It's not my family, I think that it's yours! I can't find any record of the John Chaplin/Janet Peddie marriage that you mentioned in message 1...