Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    rodgebhardt

I am geographically disadvantaged. The Rev stayed in Norwich, according to records available. Is this some distance from Surrey and St James' Church?

rodgebhardt

The trial and execution was a shock to the Colony, to put it mildly. But the Colonial Government was facing huge criticism over the treatment of slaves in the Cape and Lord Charles Somerset viewed this particular case as a heaven sent opportunity to show the determination of the Government to act harshly with these instances. JWL jnr, being the son of a Reverend of the Dutch Church made the sentencing and execution all the more effective within the Colony.
    It took just 11 days from the time the slave Joris died until JWL was sentenced and approx 44 days to the execution. A record if any?

rodgebhardt

Thanks for this information. The WATNEY family are related to my late grandmother's family, the BROSTER's. My grandmother's father, Thomas BROSTER, came out from Wrexham in Wales, to teach at the Queenstown schools.

Allan F Sparrow

Quote Originally Posted by rodgebhardt View Post
    I am geographically disadvantaged. The Rev stayed in Norwich, according to records available. Is this some distance from Surrey and St James' Church?
    By the travel standards of the day, before the rise of railways, yes, Norwich was a long way from Surrey, Norwich being in Norfolk, with all of Suffolk, Essex and London between it and Surrey. Even today the journey would take hours rather than minutes; in 1800 in could have taken days, depending on whether you had the means of hiring transport, which most people didn't.

I have been able to get hold of a photograph of Johanna Wolff (nee Gebhardt)'s death notice. She died in 1842 aged 82, and her place of birth is given as Mannheim, so she was indeed the Rev JWL's sister, born ca 1760. Her parents are listed as (I think) Jan William Lod'k and Joh'a Marg'a Gebhardt, so it looks as if variations on the same three Christian names were used for the sons throughout the generations. I have sent Rod a copy, so we'll see if his interpretation of the handwriting matches mine.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Name well known on Brit-Gen

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...BHARDT&f=false

I found this fascinating 'tale' whilst looking.......

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Another book no idea if it of any purpose however the surname appears & the year 1799

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...W7wH85d2hB3oyc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12