Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default David Taylor c1814 Cupar

Found your forum while continuing my research on David Taylor born about 1814 in Cupar Fifeshire Scotland. Had previously thought his birth was 1828,but later found Death Certificate in Canada dated 1890 with age 76 listed and was signed by one of his sons as a witness. So any help would be great! Thanks

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums

There are some very helpful 'stickies' at the top of the General Scottish Family History forum - Here

ScotlandsPeople is a pay per view site which lets you purchase and download most records - instantaneous fulfillment

You will get help I am sure.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi
    Using the basic search on ScotlandsPeople and searching 1812 to 1817 Cupar there is one result. By narrowing the dates this is in the year 1816 which seems to match this record transcription on ancestry.com
    David Dickson Taylor
    born 6 Nov 1816
    baptized 7 Nov 1816
    Cupar, Fife, Scotland
    Father William Taylor
    mother Isabella smith.

However you would have to be pretty sure that he was born in Cupar because if searching just in 1816 there are 4 results for the whole of Scotland and if searching 1813 to 1816 all parishes there are 24 results

Who did your David Taylor marry and did he marry in Scotland?

Christina

ps. I have moved this thread to the General Scottish history forum as I have turned it into a research thread it has the title David Taylor c 1814 Cupar
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Christina is correct - it would be much easier to help with a little more information as it's not a rare name. Did he marry in Scotland? Who/when? Why did you think that he was born 1828? Do you know when he left Scotland? What was his job? Even the names of his children would help - while it wasn't universal, a lot of families re-used family names.

On checking FamilySearch 1814-1828 (it's just an index but useful for preliminary checks), in addition to DDT above, there's also David T, b. 30 Jan 1828, bap 24 Feb 1828, Cupar, Fife to John Taylor and Agnes Scott and DT b 5 Sep 1820 Cupar Fife to George Taylor and Elizabeth Bell.
    People weren't very careful about age or spelling back then, and information gathered in the lifetime of someone is more trustworthy than after (eg one of my Great Uncles got the spelling of his mother's surname wrong on his father's death cert - she'd been dead a long time by then). I think that, at least, these 3 should be checked out.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Re:David Taylor c1814 Cupar

Thank you ♡ for the research help on my great granfather David Taylor. What I know to answer about his marriage is he was married in Ontario Canada to Cathrin Anderson who was born in Qubec Ontario in 1843. At least this is what I have found by back tracking from my paternal grandfathers census in several Brantford Ontario records. I knew my granddad was born in Brantford and was from a large family and a twin. I also know the David Taylor who was married to Cathrin Anderson was a Baker by trade as were several other males in the family. I can not find immigration for him from Scotland however. I also know by death certificate that he was Presbyterian .Does the David Taylor born in 1816 records you found say at what church his baptism was held. Also my geandfather his son had the middke name William so if family names were carried on as a middle name that would fit.Thanks Again Everyone for your Help!!

Welcome back! Perhaps you could give us some of the info we asked for - names of children, when he emigrated, that sort of thing? Did his twin also emigrate? What was his/her name?
    We have 3 potential sets of parents, fortunately with very different forenames. Hopefully the names of the children will provide a useful hint.

Many of the churches in Scotland describe themselves as Presbyterian, so that doesn't really help...