Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by lewisbeels View Post
    I have looked at many school admission registers and in some, not all, next to the Date of Birth there is a column headed "How Date of Birth has been certified (Birth Certificate, Parent's Declaration, etc.) This certification column tends to appear mostly in infant school registers. Certainly, "Dismissal by Principal" is not going to appear in a column for Evidence of Birth.
    Gill
    Gill, are the words 'Parent's declaration' actually written in the heading in the registers you've seen?

Pam

Starting to feel at home

Yes Pam. The wording is exactly as I have written it except I forgot the closing speech marks after the last bracket. This column does not seem to appear in the junior school registers that I have looked at.
    Gill

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Thank you, Gill.

I would say that confirms that Mitch's original thought of 'Declaration by parent' is correct.

Can you remember if the junior school registers you've seen had the 'Is exemption from religious teaching claimed' column next to the date of birth? If so, it would seem that most of the London infant schools just used a junior school register instead of the 'official' infant one.

Pam

Starting to feel at home

The exemption from religious education column is not in all admission registers. I have seen it as an added column drawn in by school staff. It has something to do with the various changes to the Education Acts and I can't remember the dates. It was to do with the establishment of non denominational schools and the clergy wanting to make sure that religion was still being taught. So the religious exemption column is probably date related. Will have to check up on my notes and see if I can find the exact date.
    Gill

Famous for offering help & advice

Apologies, but for some unknown reason I've not received notification of updates to this thread.
    The documents I've been looking at were amongst the national schools collections released by findmypast - imparticular those held by archives in what was the old county of Staffordshire.
    I do after looking at various sources believe the 'Declaration by parent' for 'D.P.' is the correct one.

Thanks all for your input.

Mitch

And I'm on instant notification by email so very strange.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12