Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: James Gunness

Damormar

Thank you - I did check Lesley's link but I had been there before and it hasn't given me anymore information that I don't already have. I'm beginning to think James Gunness covered his tracks so well in the early 1800's that I will never find his Indian wife. Still I won't give up until I go back to India again (3rd time) to see what I can find - armed with new information. Thankyou again smj7290 (I'm a bit new at this - "smj7290" is not like a real name but thanks anyway...)

Have you contacted FIBIS? They might be able to suggest places to look, even if they haven't put them online yet.

Damormar

Thanks Leslie,
    No I have not contacted FIBIS - you are right perhaps I should as I have come up against a proverbial "brick wall".
    James Gunness seems to have disappeared after he left the British Army's 67th in 1824. I am assuming he would have stayed in India as his son James Gunness (jnr) was also stationed at Fort William (not sure which regiment) but he is buried at Fort William in Calcutta (31st July 1842). As he was only 36 years old and in the Army chances are he was killed in the fighting - again just guessing - hopefully my next trip to India may help but I do want to go armed with as much information as I can get to help me find his mother - that's the million dollar question - Thanks Leslie for your help - will let you know how I get on Cheers Rob

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

My great-great grandparents are also Mary Ann Fendall and Frederick William Blume. I am a descendant of their daughter Lilla Rebecca Blume. I am interested to know your connection?
    I, too, have done considerable research on the family through a researcher at the National Archives in London but have not been able to identify the Indian mother/s.
    Mary Ann's father, William, I have reason to believe was the illegitimate son of John Fendall (1762-1824) and his Indian lady. Family, hearsay, refers to Mary Ann as an "Indian Princess" which maybe suggests she had a high-borne ancestry. Do you know anything more factual?
    I have been communicating with a descendant of Richard Gunness (1818-1853) son of James Gunness and an unknown Indian mother. My contact is in the process of writing her family story including a chapter on Richard. Unfortunately, she too, has been unable to identify the wife/mistress of James and mother of our mutual ancestor, Mary.
    Clearly, we are on the same journey. I look forward to your future postings. Val

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12