Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Post Mushroom Farm Cottage, Hants

For a long time (several years) I have been trying to establish the location of this cottage. I attach a photo of it. The two children that can just be seen in the cottage gate are my father and his sister, and behind them my Grandmother. The photo was taken in about 1929. Does anyone know where this cottage is (or was)? All I know is that it's in Hampshire.

Knowledgeable and helpful

If your grandparents were there in 1911, you should be able to find them and their address in the census :-)

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Post Mushroom Farm Cottage, Hants - 1911 Census

Quote Originally Posted by Squaredancer View Post
    If your grandparents were there in 1911, you should be able to find them and their address in the census :-)
    I'm afraid not - they came to the UK in 1928 and lived in Sydenham when the photo was taken. They never lived in Hants. They did, however visit Salisbury, Old Sarum and this cottage - they may even have stayed there.

Thanks for the suggestion however!

Very quick off the mark.

It may be worth contacting the local newspaper for the area and they may run a story for you. Readers often like a challenge.

NicoUK

There was a Mushroom Cottage in Donhead near Shaftsbury in 1971 according to BT phonebook and other years are shown also. Seems likely since you mention Salisbury.

Address: Mushroom Cott,Barkers HI,Nr Shaftesbury...
    Exchange: Donhead
    City/Town: Donhead
    Directory Title: Bournemouth Oct
    Publication Year: 1971
    Directory County: Hampshire

I searched for keyword Mushroom in Hampshire and surrounding counties - not many results.

In 1911 in Barkers Hill, Donhead St Andrew the following names were present:

Bennett, Burlington, Cave, Fisher, Galliott, Masters, Tanner, Toogood & Harrison

NicoUK

A tree on A****** gives the address Mushroom Cottage, Hamptworth Road, Redlynch, Wiltshire, and has a colour photo of the cottage, for children who were born there between 1896 and 1899.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by NicoUK View Post
    A tree on A****** gives the address Mushroom Cottage, Hamptworth Road, Redlynch, Wiltshire, and has a colour photo of the cottage, for children who were born there between 1896 and 1899.
    I haven't looked at the Ancestry tree, but I think that address is the right one. The following site has photos of the same cottage, and indicates that it was the basis of the Lilliput Lane model called "Afternoon Tea" -
    www.
    jrsaville.co.uk/ll_wiltshir_NV.htm - the first one on the page.

Google street view isn't very co-operative on this one as it's now behind trees, but this is the link if anyone wants to explore:
    https://www.
    google.co.uk/maps/@50.9825828,-1.6920333,3a,75y,245.9h,78.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQ4XGVnzZVt6YG7_t2WJJfg!2e0!7i1 3312!8i6656

Edit: another photo here:
    www.
    imagesofengland.org.uk/Details/Default.aspx?id=319745&mode=quick

Arthur
    Last edited by arthurk; 21-09-2015 at 1:17 PM. Reason: Another link found

Knowledgeable and helpful

Put
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoUK View Post
    Mushroom Cottage, Hamptworth Road, Redlynch
    into Google Images - you'll probably be able to match one of the pictures to yours.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

arthuk

Well done! Mushroom Cottage, Hamptworth Rd, Redlynch, Wilts. This is definitely the place! The photo in the album is titled "Mushroom Farm Cottage, Hants. So presumably it used to be part of a farm (in 1929) and my father just got the county wrong.

Thanks very much for your assistance.
    Last edited by davajam; 22-09-2015 at 10:56 AM. Reason: not clear who was being addressed

Famous for offering help & advice

"Standing on the shoulders of giants" etc - NicoUK was the one who found the address, I just used that when I went looking for photos. So congrats to NicoUK too, I think.

Arthur

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast