+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    A fountain of knowledge
    Thanks

OK, that's given me several options to work with. I have found the 'Publish' option on FTM and looked at the various options. I've clicked 'generate chart' on a couple to see what I'll get. I get the names but no dates? I guess I have to play around with it a bit more and exporting the distant cousin relatives sounds like a sensible option.

For future proofing perhaps I should 'export' all the four surname groups of my parents/parents-in-law in to new/separate trees so that I can print specific groups at any time but keep my original tree in tact for my own use.

In case anyone is interested in how I organise (I use the term loosely) myself otherwise .............

I have four family folders on my PC - one for each of my children's grandparents. Within each folder are sub-folders for biographies, photos/picture, certificates and general supporting documents/information/notes. In FTM I have one large tree which covers everyone (on all four sides) from me up but no living relatives. This tree is 'synced' with Ancestry where I do all my research. When I find a record on Ancestry I save it to my tree there which backs up to my FTM and I download the record/image to the relevant folder at the same time. On my PC FTM I have a tree for all the living relatives of my maternal grandparents as I am the archivist for the family but that tree is not public anywhere - they all know I have it and if they want something they contact me. I don't make it public anywhere because I feel I'd have to ask permission of all of them and with more than 100 living it would be too much of a task and only one person would have to object to make the whole exercise irrelevant.

The third tree I have on my PC FTM is on my husband's side and that is the one I now need to share with a distant cousin. Most (living relatives) of it will not be transferred to my Ancestry public tree but remain on my PC.

My PC backs up regularly and I back up every week to a separate hard drive.

When I send for certificates from the GRO I keep them in paper format only unless I'm sharing them with someone in which case I scan and e-mail. Sometimes, I print downloaded images but not so often now as the cost/duplication/physical storage was getting out of hand.

Perhaps, when I am ready to hand it over to someone or prepare it for someone else to take over (after my own demise) I may print/scan everything so it is duplicated on paper and PC. One day .................

Brick wall demolition expert!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,039 Times in 874 Posts

I get the names but no dates?
    When you are looking at the draft tree on the right hand side there is a column headed "vertical pedigree chart options" and under that there are a number of icons.

The first icon (on my computer) if you hover over it says "items to include". Click on that and it brings up a box saying "included facts". On the same pane there is a "+" sign. Click on that and it brings up a list of facts that you can select to include.

You can show date and location in a number of formats, and that is something that you would have to play around with as there are endless combinations. For me I just use the lifespan for born and died as the more information you want to show the bigger the tree will be.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Megan Roberts For This Useful Post:

AudreyF (10-09-2015)

Super Moderator Lesley Robertson's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,246 Times in 954 Posts

Audrey, your pm box is full and new messages can't get through - please delete some stuff...

A fountain of knowledge
    Thanks

Sorry. Done. Thank you.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Thanks

Tribal pages have a nice little fan chart that will cover 4 or 5 generations

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jaxandfamily For This Useful Post:

AudreyF (09-02-2017)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2