Thread: Cave family

Chrissiecruiser

Default Cave family

Hello to all,

My 4th great grandfather was William Cave whom I think was born in Gillingham, Dorset.

He married Mary Butt 21 May 1735, Gillingham, Dorset.

He died in 1779, Somerset and is buried at St Andrew, Somerset with Mary (1780)

The family then continued in Somerset....John Cave...son, for which I have much history as he is my 3rd GG and Mary Cave...daughter, for whom I know nothing.

And that is the extent of my knowledge of William and Mary.

Can anyone help with suggestions on where I can obtain help?

I am a member of Cave Family History group and have not learnt anything through them.

Thanks in great anticipation,

Chris Williams

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Have you checked familysearch.org,Dorset OPC,freereg?A*********y have several public trees though lacking sources.

Anyone wanting to help with son John, please note that they have their own thread on the Somerset forum. To prevent overlap, please keep this thread to the Dorset branches.

Allan F Sparrow

Quote Originally Posted by warncoort View Post
    Have you checked familysearch.org,Dorset OPC,freereg?A*********y have several public trees though lacking sources.
    In fact, Family Search has quite a few Caves in Somerset and Dorset, including some named William: definitely worth a look.

I have just tried FreeReg, and there are lots of Caves in both Somerset and Dorset. Again, well worth a look if you have not been there.
    Last edited by Allan F Sparrow; 10-09-2015 at 7:55 AM. Reason: Addition

janbooth

Chris,

Ancestry has the actual parish register images for Gillingham, Dorset and from them are the baptisms on 3 March 1737/38 of a Martha, William 9 July 1740, Elizabeth baptised 24 May 1743, Ann baptised 21 August 1748, Thomas 12 May 1751, John baptised 18 March 1753 & Sarah baptised 28 October 1753 all described as either children of William or children of William & Mary CAVE. However, at first glance I cannot find the baptism of a daughter Mary but perhaps a more detailed search of the records by yourself will find her baptism.

Gillingham marriage banns for a William CAVE, bachelor, to an Ann MEAD in 1767, Martha CAVE married Joseph MARTIN at Gillingham on 6 April 1760 plus other marriages at Gillingham which could relate to the children of William & Mary CAVE.

Janet

Allan F Sparrow

Useful stuff: better than looking at unsourced trees

janbooth

Very true, but then you can get a lot of useful hints from other online sources always provided they are well researched in the first place! However, nothing beats original parish register entries although even in them the incumbents have been known to make errors. I have in my direct line twins born and baptised, then buried a couple of days later where the father's name is shown as Edward in the baptism and John in the burial record - no chance they were different twins as the daughter's name was pretty unusual!

Janet

Chrissiecruiser

Thankyou Warncoort, Janet, and Allan,
    Thus far I have been searching Somerset archives and this family just appeared when John's family was registered in their records. As William Cave was married in Gillingham I am now following where I can in Dorset.
    I will go to OPC Dorset to search .
    Thanks again,
    Chris