Chrissiecruiser

Default John Cave b.1783-d.1817 Compton Dundon.

John Cave was born in 1753 and baptised at Gillingham, Dorset 18 March 1783.

His father's name is William Cave. He died in 1779. William married Mary Butt 21/5/1735 at Gillingham, Dorset.
    They are both buried at St Andrew, Somerset, Mary 1780 and William 1779.

I have been looking in Somerset for my ancestors but now need to look in Dorset. The family appears to have moved from Dorset at this stage.

Does anyone have any suggestions where to start?

Chris Williams

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Chris,

I know that people are baptised as adults (one of my something-times great grandfathers was baptised a few days before he married in 1800) but have you got these dates correct? (You have headed the thread 'John born 1783'. )
    John Cave was born in 1753 and baptised at Gillingham, Dorset 18 March 1783
    If he really was born in 1783 then he can't be the son of William and Mary as they died in 1779 and 1780.

Have you missed out a generation, where the father and son are both called John?

Pam

Anyone wanting to help with William & Mary, please note that they have their own thread on the Dorset forum. To prevent overlap, please keep this thread to the Somerset branches.

Allan F Sparrow

As with the other thread, I can recommend FreeReg for Caves in Somerset, as well as Dorset.

Allan F Sparrow

Further to my last: there are many Caves at FamilySearch, too: and the browse I've just had shows that taking Dorset and Somerset, there were about half a dozen different John Caves around in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Room for lots of confusion!

Chrissiecruiser

Oh Dear, thanks Pam...yes it was 1753...where was my head?
    Sorry,
    Chris