Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Reputation beyond repute

I'm not placing any bets on this but to my eyes it looks like "James Munday of the parish James Blake of Popham". I think the vicar has simply made a pig's ear of it. He mucked up the signatures too. I wonder if BTs are available.

Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by NicoUK View Post
    Just a thought - it seemed to me that the words before Popham could be the name Jane Blake written in error and crossed out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    I'm not placing any bets on this but to my eyes it looks like "James Munday of the parish James Blake of Popham". I think the vicar has simply made a pig's ear of it. He mucked up the signatures too. I wonder if BTs are available.
    I have to admit...it does look like James Blake rather than Laverstoke! But I can't understand why on earth he would write James Blake after "of the Parish of" ! Maybe the vicar had a few drinks before he did this wedding!!

Allan F Sparrow

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkes_ml View Post
    I have to admit...it does look like James Blake rather than Laverstoke! But I can't understand why on earth he would write James Blake after "of the Parish of" ! Maybe the vicar had a few drinks before he did this wedding!!
    Or after the wedding? This entry is certainly a real mess!

Famous for offering help & advice

I think it says "Jane Blake", written on the wrong line by mistake and then crossed out with a squiggle that makes it look as though there's an s, and then "of Popham". However, I can't make out what is between Jane and Blake on the next line.

If you look at the parish listing on the Clergy Database (https://theclergydatabase.org.uk/) for the Diocese of Winchester, it appears that Micheldever was a parish in its own right, and Popham was a chapelry within the parish, listed as "Micheldever, Popham Chapel". This would give Popham residents the right to be married in Micheldever - and it may have been anyway that Popham chapel wasn't authorised for marriages.

I haven't looked into this any further, but it may be that by examining the lists of registers held by Hampshire Record Office you'd be able to work out a bit more of what the situation was at that time.

Arthur

alan58

Looks to me like:
    James Munday of the Parish of (crossed out text) of Popham and Jane (unreadable) Blake of the same Parish were
    Married in this Church by Banns
    This eleventh day of October one thousand eight hundred and eleven
    By me G Chapman vicar
    The mark of James Munday
    The mark of Jane Blake

I read the witnesses as Robert Blake and William Andrews his mark

Regards
    Alan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12