Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen SandraL's Avatar

Default Info For William Riddle

I am trying to find more for a friend of her family. I did very well on her father's side but I'm having a hard time finding much on her father's mother's side. i can't seem to find any further info past William.

William Childs Riddle July 12, 1860-November 23, 1938-married Alice Helen Miller-March 2, 1865-April 16, 1953. He was born and died in Ontario Canada.

Their children as follows:

Alice Riddle-Jan. 27, 1890-Oct. 13, 1972

Marjorie Riddle-June 24 1892-Jul. 30, 1945-married Andrew Wise-1889 – Febuary 21 1937

Winifred Childs Riddle-Nov. 7, 1894-Apr. 27, 1967

Frank Overton Riddle-Feb. 6, 1898- Nov. 16, 1918

William John Riddle-Jul. 26, 1900-Aug. 1, 1901

Children of Andrew Wise and Marjorie Riddle:

Frank Wise-1920-

Herbert Spencer Wise-1924-1972--wife still living

William Henry Wise-May 7, 1930-Aug. 22, 2010-wife maybe still living

Children of Herbert Spencer Wise and wife:

Richard Wise -born about 1949- died about 1998

Nancy Catherine Wise-October 18 1956-September 25 2011

My female friend

Wilkes_ml

I don't know much about Canadian research, but does the marriage certificate of William Childs RIDDLE to Alice Helen MILLER give parent's names, or at least father's names like in the UK. I am assuming the marriage took place some time before of after the birth of the first child in 1890.

If you don't have the marriage certificate, then I would look into obtaining that..there maybe witnesses like in the UK.

Also with a middle name of Childs (coincidentally same name I'm working on!) this could be a mother's maiden name, or a name past down through the family.

Another pitfall to beware is that William Childs RIDDLE may have been illegitimate (often father's surname given as a middle name) and if a father is listed on the marriage certificate, then beware the father's true surname could be CHILDS not RIDDLE.

Are there baptism records in Canada in addition to birth registrations?

Have you identified William Childs RIDDLE in any census (I don't have world wide subs only UK, so I can't check the Canadian ones).

Also beware of mis-pronounciation...William Childs could be recorded as William Charles etc ( or in my case Childs begame Giles!)

Wilkes_ml

Actually the marriage certificate for William & Alice Helen is on Family search.

They married County of York in Toronto. 11th September 1889. William's parent's are recorded as William C. RIDDLE & Catherine RIDDLE, though it doesn't give Catherine's maiden name. William doesn't appear to have a middle name, so maybe his birth wasn't registered with Childs as a middle name.

They married by licence, so maybe you could track down the licence to see if any additional information was given.

edited to add that Alice Hellen MILLER's parents are listed as James Henry & Letitia MILLER

Wilkes_ml

So far I haven't been able to find a birth in Canada on family search, though I'm not sure if birth certificates are on there. The other possibility is that he was actually born elsewhere but moved to Canada shortly after his birth, so may have thought he was born imn Canada.

I'll have another look later.

I know some of the WISE side came from Pennsylvania but not sure on the RIDDLE side.

Banned

A quick look on Google tells me that Ontario marriage certificate/licence hold a LOT more details than the UK marriage certificate. It should give you their father's name and mother's maiden name, along with place of birth and religious affiliation.

You have to pay for them though. Not sure if my friend wants to spend money for it.

I wished I was able to get around so I could loan the reels from the Ontario archive. I have a lot of blanks myself that need filling on my own tree and it's a free service.

Yes surnames were also used as middle names. My father's and his brother's middle names were from their mother's side surnames. And yes spellings can change. On my mother's side in USA it's spelled Crosier, in Canada it's spelled Crozier.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Check whether Ancestry has Ontario births, marriages and deaths for the period of interest. I know I've seen the originals somewhere online. pwholt

I did some more searching on family search. Possible her name was Catherine Paddon. William Sr. was born 1830 and died 1890.

And William Jr. was July 12, 1860-November 23, 1938.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast