Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    janbooth

1861 census of York, Toronto, shows William RIDDLE, Clerk, aged 32, born Ireland, married in 1855, Presbyterian, living at Brook Street with wife Catherine, aged 26, born W. Canada, & children Jas? aged 5, Esther 3 & Wm RIDDLE jnr aged 1, all born W. Canada.

Janet

janbooth

Family Search also has an image of the original marriage record for William's sister Esther on 22 May 1884 at York, Toronto but unfortunately does not give any more information about her parents. However, one of the witnesses was a James P RIDDLE, so perhaps he is the Jas shown in the 1861 census and her brother. Marriage of James Paddon RIDDLE on 1 January 1890 at York, Toronto to a Lizzie FERRETT, widow, his parents being shown as William C RIDDLE & Catherine RIDDLE

There is a death record on Family Search for a Thomas John RIDDLE who died 12 February 1917, aged 40, in York, Toronto, a widowed Cement Worker, whose parents are shown as William Childs RIDDLE & Catherine PADDON.

So everything at the moment appears to point to the fact that your William RIDDLE's parents are William Childs RIDDLE & Catherine PADDON and that they were married c1855.

Janet

"dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

janbooth

1891 census of St Stephens Ward, Toronto City, shows your William & Alice RIDDLE living with daughter Alice L and Lodger (sister?, see helechau's census post above) Agness RIDDLE aged 25, William & Agnes's father shown to be Irish.

Still not completely certain as so far I have not found the marriage of William & Catherine nor the baptism of their son William.

Janet

janbooth

Just found the Death Certificate for your William Childs RIDDLE jnr online at Ancestry and this reads:

William Childs RIDDLE of 71 Hewitt Ave, York
    Male of Irish Origin, married
    Born 12 July 1860 in Ontario
    Died 23 November 1938, aged 78, a Postal Inspector
    Father: William RIDDLE born Ireland
    Mother: Catherine PADDON born Ontario
    Name of Informant: Miss Winifred RIDDLE of 71 Hewitt Ave, Daughter
    Buried 26 November 1938 at Park Lawn?

This looks to be the final piece of the jigsaw??

Janet

Valued member of Brit-Gen SandraL's Avatar

Thanks so much for this info. I figured it was Catherine Paddon. And I think I found William Sr. immigration info. If this is the right one, it says he came to the Americas on March 5 1849. The ship was Asburton which left from Liverpool and landed in New York City USA. And it shows his birth year on it as 1830 which adds up as well as the name.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12