Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re. "three consecutive Sundays" the phrase I've come across is "three several Sundays". I've seen mention as late as 1930 of "three several Sundays but they do not need to be consecutive".

Tredington, Gloucestershire Banns https://frepages.genealogy.rootsweb.a...radingvol3.htm

These transcribed Banns' records contain plenty of examples of non consecutive banns.

The "3 month limit" is proving harder to check out.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

The Marriage Act 1822
    Sec 20 - That whenever a marriage shall not be had within three months after the complete publication of banns, no minister shall proceed to the solemnization of the same, until the banns have been republished".

An amendment not as "recent" as I had supposed

Wilkes_ml

Thanks for that...it is very interesting.

I had double checked the Hampshire marriage licence allegations index 1689-1837 which are in book form at ancestry. And no licence for the couple is listed.

Hampshire burial index is also on find my past, and I have checked the actual parish register for the burial of John Rist PRIMMER, and he doesn't appear to have died in infancy. I do believe one of the couple was waiting to see if the child survived before they commited to marriage. A John Rist was buried in November 1784, nearly 10 years after the birth of John Rist PRIMMER but no age is given, so I can only assume the burial is of John Rist PRIMMER.

Banned

I knew it - thanks a million!

So there's absolutely no confusion - if your "I knew it..." relates to post #10 "they have always been valid for 3 months only", it only applies from Martin's 1822 Act, not Hardwicke's 1754 Act

regards

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12