Wilkes_ml

Default PLEDGER - Owslebury Hants

This is a problem that has been bugging me for years, though not a brick wall as it isn't related to a direct ancestor.

My ancestor( Rebecca CHILDS) had her illegitimate child supposedly baptised at Winchester Union Workhouse sometime prior to her being received into the congregation of St. Andrew's, Owslebury 5th April 1846 . She was named Ellen Louisa PLEDGER, and was baptised the same day as her cousin? Betty ( also illegitimate) but no ages or dates of birth were given unfortunately.

The 1851 census give's Ellen PLEDGER's birth around 1844 at Week, Winchester, Hants (Ref: HO107 piece 1673 folio 7 pg 6)

However, I can see no Ellen Louisa PLEDGER birth registration...2 Ellen CHILDS birth registrations in the 3rd & 4th quarters of 1846, which were too late and also wrong registration districts. The only PLEDGER birth I can find is that of Rebecca PLEDGER 3rd quarter 1844 Winchester reg. district which seems highly likely, so I will order this certificate.

Ellen then took on her step-father's name of ROBINSON from 1861.

So now I'm looking into the possibility of who was the father of Ellen Louisa PLEDGER's father....which is going to cost a birth certificate (which probably won't list her father) and marriage certificate (which will probably list her step-father!) so my best hope is her Work house baptism!

Firstly does anyone have access to the Winchester Union Workhouse baptisms on microfiche? Did the workhouse do their own baptisms or use the nearest church? If it was the nearest church, does anyone know which church it would be? I'm planning to visit Winchester, but with two kids in tow, I don't want to be wading through every Winchester church baptisms! i used to order the microfiche and look at them on my own fiche reader, but now you have to order a minimum of 50 fiche at £2 a fiche, and I can barely get to 15 fiche at the moment!

I have also been looking at male PLEDGERs in the area who could be the father. It seems that PLEDGERs are quite rare in the area. But those that I have found are in Owslebury where Rebecca CHILDS came from.

In 1841 Joseph aged 56-60, and his (I assume) wife Elizabeth aged 51-55, appear to be separated (Ref: HO107 Piece 404 Book 17 Folio 8 Pg 11 & HO107 Piece 404 Book 17 Folio 25 Pg 17)

In 1841 Joseph's son William George (a baker) is living at St. Thomas, Winchester ( Ref: HO107 Piece 409 Book 9 Folio 46 Pg 35) and in 1847 William George PLEDGER marries Mary Ann WHITE, and has moved to Southampton by 1851 (Ref: HO107 Piece 1669 Folio 240 pg 26)

I think it is more likely that Joseph is the father rather than William George, so I am hoping Joseph's will in 1860 mentions Ellen Louisa (Joseph was rich, leaving effects under £2000) and Joseph's married daughter Maria Lawson-Hyde also left a will (Effects under £600)

I do have to look into bastardy bonds as well.

So I do have a few avenues to investigate.

Also, another problem I have is locating Ellen's marriage. She is living with her grandfather Robert ROBINSON & widowed mother Rebecca ROBINSON in 1861, and is listed with the surname ROBINSON (aged 16 born winchester) Ref: RG9 Piece 689 Folio 7 pg 7.

I believe she marries George BAILEY ( Born 1841-1842 Fosbury, Wilts) but can not find a marriage for them...I have George & Ellen BAILEY through the census from 1871, so it looks like I'll have to pay out for a birth certificate for one of the children just to prove I have the right couple!!

Looks like this could be an expensive mission just to fulfill my curiosity!

Wilkes_ml

Now I remember why I believe Ellen Louisa PLEDGER married George BAILEY.....in 1891 census RG12 Piece 935 Folio 43 Pg 17, Ellen's unmarried aunt Mary CHILDS born 1818-1819 Owslebury was living with the BAILEY family at Kingsworthy.

George & Ellen's first child appears to be George born 1863-1864 Sutton Scotney and there is a birth registration of a George Thomas Horsecroft BAILEY in 2nd quarter 1864 Winchester Registration district which could be the correct one.

Wilkes_ml

Doh...looks like I've been here before https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...hlight=pledger

Wilkes_ml

And I now realise I had ordered one of Ellen Louisa BAILEY's children's birth certificates: Ethel Rebecca daughter of Ellen Rebecca BAILEY nee CHILDS. So Ellen's name has changed yet again.