Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    richard40

we will be there in a couple of weeks time, I will look around. the only place I can think of around Woodhall that may have railings like that would be Our Lady School, Woodhall Lane.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by smj7290 View Post
    markpaul, they never left the Garden City. They couldn't afford day trips - he was the only boilermaker in the town as far as we know and she worked 7 days a week at the Cottage Hospital. I lived in WGC (mid 80s) from Birmingham before moving to Holborn, plus we regularly commuted there. ... .
    Any more ideas?
    Not wishing to push the point .... but .... you didn't need to have money to visit the seaside. Were they members of a club? A church, perhaps. Of course, if they worked all hours they might find it difficult to get away even for a day. Did they have a large family?

Banned

Richard, I'm moving to Welwyn Garden City so I will have a better look. I managed to find a new job as a History teacher, so all looks good for my future

I remember Woodhall has railings by the bins in the car park, but it can't be that since there's shops in the background. Woodhall shops were must more compact than the shops in the picture, so quite doubtful now.

They had 8 children in total, 7 survived. I know the gentleman in the picture belonged to the Buffaloes (RAOB) which gave him a big funeral when he died in April 1958, but still all the family are on the understanding they NEVER left WGC. The woman in the picture used to be the local midwife out of hours, so must be remembered by many. As far as I know, they belonged to the RNA (the man was in the Royal Navy for many years) but no social clubs or the churches of the town.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12