Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default Where in WGC is this?

Hi all,

I have picture of a couple who lived in Welwyn Garden City for many years, but nobody can make out where they are stood. I need a Welwyn Garden City history expert really.

We thought it might be Peartree Stores along Peartree Lane (very near to their home), but we can't be sure. I think there is some writing, but it's illegible to me.

Also, when is it taken? The gentleman stood there died in 1957, and the woman died in 1966. I'm having some trouble with this also.

Any help appreciated.
    Last edited by smj7290; 07-08-2015 at 2:40 PM. Reason: Additional info

Reputation beyond repute

Looks to me like railway station architecture in the background.

Banned

On another website, we've eliminated Welwyn Garden City Station (in a different place to where it is now). It looks like the railway station, but from pictures I've seen of it I've ruled that one out.

Also, any ideas on when it was taken? This would help in maybe pinpointing where it was taken.

richard40

Default where in W.G.C.

Quote Originally Posted by smj7290 View Post
    On another website, we've eliminated Welwyn Garden City Station (in a different place to where it is now). It looks like the railway station, but from pictures I've seen of it I've ruled that one out.

Also, any ideas on when it was taken? This would help in maybe pinpointing where it was taken.
    Google our welwyn garden city. contacts; [email protected] they may be able to help as they are local historians. I am familiar with the area, but do not recognise the whereabouts of the photo.

richard40

don't remember railings near the Peartree stores, but could possibly be near the school, sadly the railings I cannot place, friends and relatives, long term resident's of W.G.C. circa 1945 to present I have shown the photo also cannot recognise the place it was taken. Local historians would be your best approach, maybe the archives contain a similar photo.

Very quick off the mark.

Do you know for certain that the photo was taken in Welwyn Garden City?

The station in the background looks a fairly common type.

Banned

It was DEFINITELY in the Garden City - this couple never travelled outside of WGC and always lived in Welwyn Garden City.

Although I'm from Birmingham, my stepfather is from WGC (hence my research) and am fairly familiar with the town. To be fair, I don't recall railings at Peartree but mind you, it could be Woodhall Stores.

Any more ideas welcome

Starting to feel at home

Did they never go on day trips to the seaside - Clacton? Southend?
    Might be a lead.

richard40

W.G.City did not have a station until 1920, they had a halt in an entirely different place to today's station. it was on a section of line long ago closed. I personally cannot remember railings of this type in the area as I Previously indicated, TRY THE LOCAL HISTORIANS.

Banned

markpaul, they never left the Garden City. They couldn't afford day trips - he was the only boilermaker in the town as far as we know and she worked 7 days a week at the Cottage Hospital. I lived in WGC (mid 80s) from Birmingham before moving to Holborn, plus we regularly commuted there.

richard40, I'm aware that the Garden City station as it is today isn't what it used to be. I remember the old one, so I took this into account before writing the initial post for this thread.

I've asked Doreen's son (Doreen is the couple above's daughter who is believed to have taken this picture) where he thought this was taken, and like me thought Woodhall Stores.
    Any more ideas?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast