southistle

Default Canadian Birth Certificate

What is easier to obtain - a 1910 birth certificate from Quebec or 1911/1912 from Alberta?
    The same family recently arrived from UK. They settled in Calgary.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I've found the relevant pages re applying. I'll leave you to 'read all about it' and decide which is the easiest (or probably the cheapest! )

Are you trying to decide which 'John Smith' is yours out of two or more? Or do you have two members of the same family and are trying to find out further details about the parents? If it's the first question, can you eliminate some of the 'Johns' by using the 1921 (Canadian) census?

Alberta
    https://www.servicealberta.com/785.cfm

Quebec
    https://www.etatcivil.gouv.qc.ca/en/c...-copy-act.html

Pam

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

The Quebec one especially might only apply to more recent birth certificates, though one of the offices should be able to provide further information about how/where to apply for ones circa 1911.

I googled 'historic birth certificate Quebec'.
    FamilySearch have this in general for Quebec, though please note that probably not all databases are completely transcribed.
    https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/...ealogy_Records

The first article in this google result doesn't sound too helpful re early records. https://
    globalgenealogy.com/globalgazette/gazfd/gazfd71k.htm

I would suggest that you use 'historic birth certificate Quebec' in any search engine, and check out the results for yourself.

Re applying for Alberta birth certificates, check out the 'eligibility for birth documents' on the left-hand side of the page of the link I gave.
    It would seem that anyone can apply providing that (a) the document is over 120 years old, or (b) the person has been deceased for over 50 years.

Pam

southistle

Thanks Pam, this is for a teenage granddaughter who has sudden got the 'family history bug' Have to encourage her in researching her mother's family!
    We have the census 1911, 1916, 1921. They give a different date of emigration every time and cannot find them on passenger lists yet.
    However ages and birthplaces of children are consistent thank goodness.

We want to find the mothers maiden name, and hoping that where will also be information on the grandparents on the childrens birth records. Here in BC that would be very likely on birth certificates.

Eldest child (as per the census?) was born in Montreal, Quebec all other children were born in Calgary, Alberta
    The father was born in Scotland, the mother in England, There is no marriage on FreeBMD. They may have married in Scotland, in Canada or not at all. It is not a common name, but has various spelling variations.

I am hoping that folk who have actually ordered certificates from either province can tell me how arduous or otherwise it was.

southistle

Yesterday I went to our local family history centre, they have ancestry library edition there. My sub this year is uk only.

I had some good luck as in the Drouin collection of Quebec records, I found not only the baptism record of the oldest child but also the marriage of the parents and as a bonus the marriage of the brides sister.

So they did not immigrate as a couple as we had thought.

The couple are William McKay CARRIE (born about 1875 in Scotland) and Alice Sarah Jane YORKE born about 1880 in England.
    We are not asking any help in tracing them back - my granddaughter will want the pleasure of doing it herself. I include the names just in case anyone else might be researching/googling the family in the future.

Will now concentrate on the Alberta end.