Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brock

Default When might these photographs have been?

I love to see old photographs but am truly hopeless when it comes to trying to date them. I wonder if anyone might be able to put an estimated date to the follow old photo's please?
    Thank you.

Banned

The bottom one may be Queens in New York State - "Queens Piano Art CR". Just a guess there.

The second one is definitely during the 1800s. It looks similar to what Queen Victoria wore.

The top one is probably the 1880s or 1890s. They look very well off, with the nice suit and tie.

Brock

Thank you so much.

Your best bet is to check when the photographers were in business.
    Regarding the top one, check the census for that address in Glasgow, also Scotland's People has Valuation Rolls for the "5 years" to balance the census "1 years".
    I think that the other 2 are both Irish. Market Sq, Lisburn is clear enough, but the other one has an impressed address. I think that it says Belfast to the right of the red text but can't read the rest on the left.
    If you know when they were in business, that limits your search a bit. Remember that women who weren't that well off could make a hat or best dress last for years.

Brock

I hadn't thought to check out the photographers in the census entries ~ that's a great idea Lesley, thank you so much.

www.thelows.madasafish.com/cards/watwil.htm

Is this Watson & Wilson on the 1st photo?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Brock

helachau, that's great. Thank you.

When James Stratton Wilson retired in 1893 and James Alexander Watson decided to carry on alone, but still under the name Watson & Wilson, the only premises mentioned were 83 Jamaica Street.

Am trying to establish if the Kilbowie Road, Clydebank premises were in operation pre or post 1893.

Thanks to one of my favourite sites, the Internet Archive HERE I can tell you that Watson & Wilson were at 83 Jamaica St from 1891-1914. They are not there in 1885 or 1918. Obviously these dates are not exact since they don't have a copy of the directory for every year.

I'll leave you to look for the Irish directories.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast