Default MARKES LEVY 1812-1877-BELLA WOOLF 1817-1881

This new thread is for my Jacobs and Simmonds distant cousins and should be read in conjunction with earlier threads on the Simmonds and related families. One of my distant cousins in the USA has Markes Levy and Bella Woolf on his family tree and as a help I said I would research the lines further. Through my research, which is ongoing, I have been able to identify a range of connections to various Anglo Jewish families including the Simmonds, Lyon, Lyons, Rintel, Simmons, Isaacs, Alman, Levy, Nathan, Solomon among others.
    In this first post I will provide initial data on Markes Levy 1812-1877 and his wife Bella Woolf 1817-1881. Markes Levy was the son of Abraham Levy1775-1834 and Zipporah Benjamin 1787-1861. Several important sources for the data can be seen in "A Jewish Family and a Royal Connection" David Lang March 2005 Kol Kehillat Kernow Voice of the Jewis Community in Cornwall Issue 12 ( online)- this article provides important data on the various related families including Zender Moses, Lemon Woolf; Joseph and Levy among others.
    The second source is the data from the Susser Archives JCR-UK online which describes the South West Anglo Jewish connection and various families.
    Susser also provided transcriptions of the Falmouth Jewish Cemetery tombstones including the father of Abraham Levy- see BER son of Joel ( Isachaar Jacob) died 11 yar 5551 ( 15 May 1791) children- Joel; Abraham Levy husband of Zipporah Benjamin of Plymouth; Levy; Judith; Hannah; Betsy; Sally; Shevya.
    Abraham's father was Barnet Levy 1731-1791 from Alsace who married in 1770 Esther Elias daughter of Elias Elias and his wife was the sister of Zender Moses
    Another important source on the various families is "Coats of Many Colours. An account of the Joseph Families in the English Speaking World. W S Jessop Chicago, 1951 which also includes several family pedigrees including the Pedigree of Simmons of Falmouth; Levy of Falmouth and Plymouth; Woolf of Penzance- see Susser Archives JCR-UK online.

I will post further on the lines.
    Phillip

The following census records and probate provide further information on Markes Levy, his wife Bella Woolf and their family.
    1851 Census (Crown Copyright, TNA) HO 107 1878 233 28
    50 Bedford Street Plymouth
    Markes LEVI H M 38 Navy agent and Jeweller b Plymouth
    Bella wife 34 b Cornwall Penzance
    Abraham son 9 b Devon Plymouth
    Sarah dau 7 b Devon Plymouth
    Julia dau 7 b Devon Plymouth
    Ellen dau 3 b Devon Plymouth
    Caroline dau 2 b Devon Plymouth
    Eliza dau 8mths b Devon Plymouth
    +3 servants
    1861 Census ( Crown Copyright,TNA) RG9 1443 78 24
    38 Union Crescent Plymouth
    Markes LEVY H M 48 Pawnbroker b Devon Plymouth
    Bella wife 44 b Devon Plymouth
    Abraham son 19 pawnbroker
    Julia dau 17
    Esther dau 13
    Caroline dau 12
    Eliza dau 10
    Asher son 9
    Bernard son 3
    Albert son 1
    ALL children b Devon Plymouth
    +1 assistant Eliza LYON and 3 servants

Phillip

1871 Census (Crown Copyright,TNA)
    RG10 211 9 111 30
    190 Union Street Plymouth
    Markes LEVY H M 58 Pawnbroker b Devon Plymouth
    Bella wife 54
    Abraham son u 29 no occupation
    Ellen dau u 23
    Caroline dau u 21
    Bernard B son 12 scholar
    Albert son 1
    ALL b Devon Plymouth +3 servants

GRO Marriage Index- Markes Levy-Bella Woolf April qtr 1841 Cornwall 9 263

Probate
    Markes Levy formerly of 190 Union Street Plymouth Devon Pawnbroker and Silversmith but late of 18 Milner Square Islington Middlesex died 25 April 1877 at 18 Milner Square Probate- Bella Levy widow, relict, Abraham Levy Commercial traveller the son and Myer Lewis Isaacs wholesale optician all of 18 Milner Square and Aaron Lyons 36 Edgcumbe Strret Stonehurst Devon Pawnbroker the executors Effects under £7000 Revision August 1881 under £12000
    Phillip

Default ZIPPORAH LEVY NEE BENJAMIN PROBATE

This post provides Probate Records data for Zipporah Levy nee BENJAMIN mother of Markes Levy and Probate for Bella Levy nee WOOLF wife of Markes Levy:
    Probate- Zipporah Levy formerly of Plymouth Devon but late of Birmingham Warwick died 24 March 1861 at 11 St Paul's Square Birmingham proved by- Markes Levy of Plymouth pawnbroker and Jeweller the son and Joseph Michael, Bristol Pawnbroker and Jeweller the executors

Probate Bella Levy late of 18 Milner Square Islington Middlsex widow died 8 February 1881 at 18 Milner Square. Proved by-Abraham Markes Levy 13 James Street Kingston on Thames Surrey the son Jeweller and Myer Lewis Isaacs of 18 Milner Square Wholesale Optician the executors Persoanl Estate Re sworn Sept 1881 under £1500

Phillip

Default ABRAHAM LEVY 1775-1834 PROBATE

Probate - Letters of Administration delayed until 19 July 1861
    Abraham LEVY father of Markes Levy:
    Letters of Administration (with will annexed) Abraham Levy late of Plymouth Devon Pawnbroker deceased who died on or about 26 May 1834 at Plymouth.. granted at Exeter to Markes Levy of Plymouth Pawnbroker and Jweller and Joseph Michael of Bristol Pwnbroker and Jeweller the executors of the will of Zipporah Levy widow the relict the sole executrix and residuary legatee named in the said will they having been first sworn Effects under £2000

See Cemetery Scribes Records ID 6571 BELLA WOOLF 1817-1881 ( wife of Markes Levy)
    Part of Tombstone Inscription- Mrs Beila bar R Asher widow of Mr Mordecai bar Avrahom died Tuesday 9 Adar 1 5641.
    Her parents were Lemon WOOLF 1783-1848 and Rebecca Moses JACOB 1782-1853

Phillip

Default ABRAHAM MARKES LEVY-CAROLINE EMDON

In this post I will provide data on Abraham Markes Levy ( son of Markes Levy) and his marriage to Caroline EMDON.
    GRO Marriageb Index June qtr 1881 Marylebone 1a 115 Abraham Markes Levy-Caroline Emdon

Probate Abraham Markes Levy of Edgcumbe House Hampton Wick Middlesex and of 15 Thames Street Kingston upon Thames died 23 June 1900 at 18 Kent Road Southsea Hants. Probate to Caroline Levy widow and Frank Isaac LYONS merchant Effects £3932 1s 2d
    Probate-Caroline Levy of Edgecombe House 7 Lower Teddington House Hampton Wick Middlesex died 12 December 1919 Probate to Percy Montague Levy Jeweller and Stephjen Wiseman merchant Effects 44307 7s

The Susser Archives has a family tree for the Emdom aka Emdon aka Emden and Cemetery Scribes also has data on Abraham EMDON ( Emden) (Abraham Eliezer ) 1799-20 May 1872 Parents Elias Emden ( Eleazer) Abrajham 17 June 1764 Amsterdam d 1844/ married Kitty?
    Family 1 PATTY ( Martha b Judah) died 10 May 1838
    Family 2 Lydia DAVID (Davis) - GRO Marriage Index March qtr 1840 9 511 Stoke Damerel Lydia Daid -Abraham EMDIN

The 1851 Census records:
    10 Lambert Street Stoke Damerell Devonport Devon ( Crown Copyright,TNA) HO 107 1882 68 11
    Abraham Emden H M 52 Pawnbroker b Devon Plymouth
    Lydia wife 40
    Eliezer son 10
    Clara dau 8
    Solomon son 6
    Mark son 2
    All born Devon
    + 3 servants including a governor
    The Susser Archives family tree for Emdon has Abraham Emdon 1799-1872 marrying Rachel daughter of Mordecai BENJAMIN and a Ancestry.Com family tree has Lydia as Rachel Leah DAVIS

1861 Census 10 Lambert Street Stoke Damerell Devonport Devon
    (Crown Copyright,TNA) RG1452 70 28
    Abraham Emdon H M 61 Pawnbroker b Devon Plymouth
    Fanny wife 44 b Middx London
    Clara dau 18 b Devon Stoke Damerel
    Solomon son 16 ? and Last Maker ( apprentice) b Devon Stoke Damerel
    Caroline dau 14 b Devon Stoke Damerel
    _1 servant

1891 Census
    (Crown Copyright,TNA) RG12 617 4 2
    Lower Road Clovelly Hampton Wick Middlesex
    Abraham M Levy H M 49 Jeweller and Gold b Devon Plymouth
    Caroline wife 43 b Devonport
    Percy M son 9 b Middx Hampton Wick
    Isabella M dau 8 b Middx Hampton Wick
    Beatrice dau 3 b Middx Hampton Wick
    +1 servant

A Ancestry.Com Family tree has- Percy Montague Levy 1882-1968; Isabella May Levy 1883-1966; Beatrice Victoria Levy 1887-1969.
    I have not verified this data
    Phillip

1901 Census (Crown Copyright,TNA) rg13 671 140 4
    Edgecomb Hampton Wick
    Caroline Levy H Widow 53 Jeweller and Watchmaker-employer b Devon Devonport
    Percy M son u 19 Assistant to " " " b Middx Hampton Wick
    Isabel M dau u 18 b Middx Hampton Wick
    +1 servant

Probate
    Caroline Levy of Edgecombe House 7 Lower Teddington House Hampton Wick Middx widow died 12 December 1919- Probate to Percy Montague Levy Jeweller and Stephen Wiseman merchant Effects $4307 7s

One Ancestry.Com Family tree has Percy Levy m Millicent Leon; Isabella Levy m Stephen Wiseman; Beatrice remained un married. I have not verified this data.
    Phillip

Loves to help with queries

LYON/LAZARUS connections - Markes and Bella's daughter Caroline married (as second wife) (1876) Solomon LYON, son of Solomon LYON (married Rose SOLOMON). Solomon LYON senior was brother of my 3x gr grandmother Matilda LYON (of Bideford) (married Lyon LAZARUS, of Exeter but settled in Plymouth). The Eliza LYON in the LEVI (LEVY) household in the 1851 census may have been his daughter (Matilda's niece) who married (as 2nd wife) Isaac LAZARUS/John LIZARS in Portsmouth in 1886. (I haven't been able to work out what Lazarus family John Lizars is from; he appears in the 1841 census as Isaac Lazarus, then moved to Scotland and changed his name.) I haven't added sources here because I don't know what if any of this information is of interest. Most of it comes from the same sources you appear to use - census records, Susser etc.

My thanks Eve on behalf of my Simmonds/Jacobs distant USA cousins. I am not in contact with them at present but hope they read your post and respond.
    Phillip