Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

OK - here is the will

Page 1
    Extract from the Registry of the Exchequer court of York

This is the last will and testament of me John Grayshon of Morley in the parish of Batley in the county of York
    Farmer (?) made in manner and form
    Following that is to say I give and Devise unto my wife Elizabeth Grayshon all my interest in the farm and lands with all my stock with implements of husbandry and every thing beloning to the farm whichI hold under the Earl of Dartmouth for her own proper use and benefit it being belonging - - -- -(torn area) her without any one to - -(torn area)- -her
    I also --- and bequeath unto my said wife Elizabeth Grayshon the rents due at May dayand Martinmas next for her to receive without molestation belonging to the four houses which I lately purchased of Joseph Moor Wilson situated at the back green in Churwell in the said county
    I also give unto my neice Sarah Thornton the dewlling house with all the appertenances thereunto belonging with the porch at the door to her own proper use and benefit she paying unto my brother Richard Grayshon ten pounds out of the same also unto Thomas Field the son
    Page 2
    of Isacc Field of Woodchurch the furthe sum of five guineas also give and bequeath unto my niece Elizabeth Thornton (*) the house that John Hardisty lives in with all the appertenances thereunto belonging for her own proper use and benefit she paying unto Benjamin Grayshon of Hunslet five pounds out of the same I also give and bequeath unto my nephew Thomas Grayshon the house where Catherine Sutcliffe lives for his own proper use and benefit her paying out of the same the sum of ten pounds to be equally divided amongst hiw brothers and sisters – share and share alike – The uppermost house I give and bequeath unto Jeremia ----(torn area) --- equally divided between them and for James Grayshon to have no power over any thing but his share of the house Ialso give unto Samuel Grayshon of Morley Moorside Clothier one shilling for his share of my property I also give and bequeath unto my neices Sarah Thornton and Elizabeth Thornton half a dozen silver tea spoons and two silver table spoons and the china and the bible and testament and the bed quilt and two mahogany chairs and the cupboard upstairs and the time piece and the hand board for their own proper use and benefit to be equally divided between them
    Page 3
    And I do herby nominate and appoint William Dixon junior of Morley Clothing and Thomas Field of Woodchurch Sadler executors in trust to see that this my will be duly executed and to have each of them one pound for their trouble to be paid to themby Elizabeth Thornton and I do hereby revoke all former will or wills by me made in witness whereof the said John Grayshon have to this my last will and testement at by hand and seal this seventh day of April in the year One Thousand eight hundred and twenty nine (H) the mark of Joh Grayshon signed sealed published and declaired by the above named John Grayshonas and for his last will and testement ----(torn area) of us who in his presence and at his requesty have subscribed our names

Witnesses Thomas field
    The mark of William Wilson
    William Dixon junior

This will was proved at York the 10th of December 1829 by the oath of Thomas Field one of the executors therin named
    To whom probate was granted he having been first sworn duly to admiister (?)

Joseph Buckle
    Deputy Register

Added at some other time - (*) She was married and had a family of children long before this will was made
    She married Benjamin Barton who was living with her at that time and still is living John Hardistry is tennant

So - from Almachs "Elizabeth Thornton in the parish of Calverley St Wilfrid, dau of John, baptised 12 Dec 1792 at Pudsey. No other information given.

Sarah Thornton Pudsey St Lawrence born 7 Feb 1786, baptised 4 Mar 1786, dau of John and Sarah"

John must be Thornton and Sarah a Grayshon ? (daughter of John Grayshon ?)

Sorry - Sarah must have been Johns sister

And from the will
    Thomas Grayshon must be the son of Richard

Not sure where Benjamin, James, samuel and Jeremia Grayshon fit in !

Fantastic, thank you. Tomorrow I'll do some more searching. It seems the family originated in the Pudsey area, there's quite a few Grayshon's, with various spellings, in the parish register for Calverley, which was the parish for Pudsey/Fulneck and surrounding areas.

Have you considered a visit to: https://www.archives.wyjs.org.uk/ They have a wealth of records and resources for West Yorkshire which are not online. John's properties for example will no doubt have relevant records deposited there. I have a similar will to yours and learned so much more by visiting the West Yorks Archives in Wakefield, it's a treasure trove.

Not sure where Benjamin, James, samuel and Jeremia Grayshon fit in !
    There's a few Samuel G's, recorded in the area of West Yorks near Leeds. I imagine an ancestor of 'your' John was Samuel...........perhaps his father or grandfather. Unfortunately it seems John didn't have children.

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    A John GRATION was baptized 1767, father Samuel at Farnley
    A few Gration, Grashon, Grayson baptisms at Farnley with father Samuel. There is a Richard 1760 and James 1764
    Samuel is looking like a likely candidate for John's father.

I have two branches of Grayshons from around 1800 - I cannot connect one of the branches into my current tree.
    Do you have an online tree we could look at? It would be useful to know which G's you are trying to connect to the ones being discussed here.

Try this link -
    https://www.myheritage.com/site-27779...rayshon-pedley

Use the password of B-Gtest if requested

I have added what I think to be correct - around John & Elizabeth

Chris

Ok Chris, I've taken a look at your family tree and here's some research I've done focusing on Samuel G. born circa 1822.

Census returns describe Samuel (b.1822) as born Farnley, he married Rachel Heaton 26 June 1854 at Bradford St Peter. No father's name given for Samuel, Rachel's father Joseph.

In 1851 Samuel is living with his uncle. HO107; Piece: 2314; Folio: 133; Page: 25
    Cud Hill, Farnley
    Samuel Grayston 66, farmer of 5 acres, Farnley
    Samuel Grayston 27, nephew, worsted cloth maker, Farnley

The 1841 census doesn't give relationships and ages were generally rounded down by 5yrs, it looks like young Samuel was with his uncle.
    Same address as 1851. HO107; Piece: 1343; Book: 11; Page: 31; Line: 20;
    Saml Grayson 50
    Elizabeth Grayson 22
    Saml Grayson 18

I'm guessing Elizabeth was Samuel's sister, here's her probable marriage and again no father's name given.
    Leeds St Peter, 22 Feb 1846.
    Elizabeth Grayshon of Farnley to Joseph Hartley, clothier of Armley. Witnesses: SAMUEL GRAYSHON and Ann Cowling.

Going back to Samuel (uncle of young Sam) born circa 1785 Farnley.
    Farnley chapelry of St Peter Leeds, Nov 14 1784, Samuel Gration son of Samuel. Possibly that Samuel died and the next born son was named Samuel (a common practice). Same details as above Samuel baptised Dec 28 1788.

A John GRATION was baptized 1767, father Samuel at Farnley

It is looking probable that the John whose will you have was the brother of Samuel snr mentioned in my above post.

I hope the information I've given helps, if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

OR, John could be Samuel's uncle, as Samuel was born circa 1785 - 8. More research necessary.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast