Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re. Elizabeth Thornton

FMP Marriages - Elizabeth Thornton, spinster to Benjamin Barton, maltster, 29 Dec 1822 at St Peter's, Leeds. Witnesses were Susan Outwin and Joseph Calverts
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

I don't think that can be the same Elizabeth, helachau, as the marriage is 1822 and John's will 1829 when that Elizabeth would be Barton.

That did puzzle me - why maiden name appeared in will. But when was the will drawn up as opposed to read/applied?

But when was the will drawn up as opposed to read/applied?
    That, I don't know. But there's lots of Elizabeth Thorntons marrying after 1829 in the right areas.

Elizabeth was possibly married to Benjamin Barton or Easton
    I need to pay attention, only just seen the ref to Benjamin Barton.

Chris, why do you think Elizabeth possibly married a Barton or Easton?

After looking at the will - the mention of Benjamin Barton is in very feint writing, seems to have been added during probate or after.

The will is dated 17 April 1829
    The probate date is 10 December 1829

There are excutors named

Its on parchment - very fragile - I will transcribe it and post here later - just going out to work.

@ Almach re "John GRASHON of Morley, age 62, buried at Batley 10 Jun 1829" - where in Batley ? (I live 5 miles from there).

Thanks to everyone

Chris

@ Almach re "John GRASHON of Morley, age 62, buried at Batley 10 Jun 1829" - where in Batley ? (I live 5 miles from there).
    Here's what the register says: Burials belonging to the Methodist Chapel Morley in the Parish of Batley and County of York.

So, he was buried Morley not Batley............no other information given.

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Re. Elizabeth Thornton

FMP Marriages - Elizabeth Thornton, spinster to Benjamin Barton, maltster, 29 Dec 1822 at St Peter's, Leeds. Witnesses were Susan Outwin and Joseph Calverts
    Looking for the above couple in 1851 only one fits, however Benjamin is not a maltster - not unusual though to change occupation.

1851, Chadwick Row or Road (near Whitehall road,) HO107; Piece: 2314; Folio: 328; Page: 21
    Benjamin Barton 58, Grocer and flour dealer, Preston Lancs
    Elizabeth Barton 58, wife, Fulneck
    John Barton 27, son, Wortley,
    Robert Barton 25, son, Wortley
    Helen Barton 32, serv, house servant, Lancashire Whalley

Elizabeth Thornton in the parish of Calverley St Wilfrid, dau of John, baptised 12 Dec 1792 at Pudsey. No other information given.

Sarah Thornton Pudsey St Lawrence born 7 Feb 1786, baptised 4 Mar 1786, dau of John and Sarah

Leeds Patriot and Yorkshire Advertiser, 27 Jun 1829

Court case re. theft from prosecutor Jonathan Shackleton's malt-mill at Holbeck which mentions witness "... Benjamin Barton, servant of the prosecutor..."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast