Thread: Matthew Bell

Katy

Default Matthew Bell

I am looking for any information on Matthew Bell who was a Glass Maker in Newcastle in the 1800s. I think he had 2 sons Clement and James, and one daughter Elizabeth (b circa 1830). Elizabeth married David Duff in 1859 and Matthew is listed as her father and a glass maker. Any info on Matthew and his family would be appreciated.

Thanks

Where have you already looked? For example, have you checked the census?

Katy

Hi Lesley

I have checked the 1841, 1851, 1861 and 1871 Census returns and have been unable to find a Matthew Bell of the right age who is a glass maker.

Is this the brother Clement?
    Clement Bell
    Baptised 11 Nov 1820
    St. Andrew's, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland, England
    Father - Matthew Bell
    Mother - Isabella
    FHL Film Number - 847923
    Reference ID - p 190

This is Elizabeth?

Elizabeth Bell
    Baptised 27 Jan 1833 St Andrew, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland, England
    Father Matthew Bell
    Mother Isabella Bell
    FHL Film Number 1564924

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Could this be the three siblings in 1841?
    1841 HO107 Piece 848 Book 10 Folio 9 Page 9
    Castle Place? Saint Nicholas,
    Clement Bell 20 glass cutter born in county? yes
    James Bell 12 glassmaker apprentice Yes
    Elizabeth Bell 8

So have the parents died?
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Katy

Hi Christina

I think these are the 3 siblings, I found them with the Gill family but didn't have any occupations. Thanks. I have found Clement and James in the 1851 Census. Clement is a Flints Glass Cutter and James is still with the Gill family and widowed, although he is a Corn Labourer although Henry Gill is a Glass Cutter Ap. I am unable to find either Clement or James in 1861. Elizabeth, who I am descended from was married to David Duff by 1861, although she had an illegitimate son in 1853 named James Clement, although he is elusive in 1861 also.

I don't know anything more about the parents, Matthew isn't down as deceased on Elizabeth's marriage certificate in 1859 but I know that doesn't mean anything either. Isabella seems to be a family name as it features in Elizabeth's children and other information that seems to be connected to this family.

Thanks

janbooth

IGI also has a baptism at St Andrew's Newcastle on Tyne on 4 April 1819 for a John BELL and another on 30 May 1824 for an Isabella BELL, parents of both being Matthew & Isabella BELL.

Given the date of the first baptism above, Family Search also have a marriage at Morpeth on 30 November 1816 for a Matthew BELL & Isabella LOCKEY - perhaps worth consideration.

As the children were baptised at St Andrew, could this Isabella in the 1851 census of Newcastle St Andrew (HO107/2405, folio 123, page 16), be related to your family:

Grey Street

Isabella BELL Head U 66 Confectioner Philadelphia Durham
    + 2 Lodgers and 2 Servants

There is a burial at Newcastle St John on 1 August 1834 of a Matthew BELL, aged 38, which might perhaps explain why your Matthew cannot be found in any census records.

Mystery solved - I think. I noticed that Richard GILL's wife on the 1841 was an Isabella, so searched for a marriage for Richard and this popped up from Ancestry's Select Marriages:

28 January 1839 at All Saints, Newcastle, Richard GILL & Isabella BELL

Obviously you would need the actual marriage details to be certain that Isabella was a widow when she married Richard GILL, but I should think from her age on the 1841 census record and the fact that Clement, James & Elizabeth BELL are living in the same house, would tend to indicate that this is your Isabella. The marriage details would also give you the name of Isabella's father which would enable you to check for her marriage to Matthew. Also look at the 1851 census for Richard & Isabella GILL (HO107/2406, folio 370, page 41) where they are living at 31 Close, which shows that James BELL, who is widowed, is Richard GILL's son in law. This term was often used to indicate a stepson and also corroborates the fact that Isabella wife of Matthew married Richard GILL after Matthew's death. The 1851 census shows that Isabella GILL was born in Scotland, so that will be a whole new avenue for you to explore.

Clement BELL married Christiana HILL on 6 March 1842 at All Saints, Newcastle (source Ancestry's Select Marriages).

Janet

Katy

Hi Janet.

Many thanks, so much information. I found Isabella in the Scottish records and the marriage transcript on the FMP site gives the same father. This makes the 1841 and 1851 Census returns understandable. Elizabeth's eldest son's daughter was called Isabella Lockie Bell.

Thanks

Katy

janbooth

Glad to be of help and good luck with the BELL/LOCKEY research.

Janet