Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    hilarykellis

Default Mary Ann Blyth, of Louth Lincolnshire

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if I could have some advice on tackling the following brickwall:

My ancestor, Mary Ann Blyth, was born in about 1801 in Louth, Lincolnshire, according to census records. In In 1841 Mary Ann, lives in Blyth (coincidentally) Bawtry, Yorkshire with her husband Anthony Embley and young children, Mary, Frances, John, Dorothy and Diana.

Anthony and Mary Ann are married in 1826 at St James Church in Louth, and Mary Ann is listed as being from that parish. She spends most of her life in Yorkshire, however.

Where it gets complicated:
    I found a marriage for Dorothy Butler and Edward Blyth in Sculcoates, Yorkshire in 1793, with 2 subsequent children born in Hull (Elizabeth in 1797 and Harriot in 1798). There is an Edward Tennyson Blyth born to Dorothy and Edward in Louth in 1808.

There is an Edward Blyth who was a pipemaker in Hull and died there in 1821 (according to a newspaper circulated in Lincolnshire!). He seems to be the one who married Dorothy. *seems*

There is an Edward Blyth, a merchant, in Louth. He dies at 95 in 1820 and there's an obit for him in the paper. It doesn't mention his family. I wonder if he could be connected to my Mary Ann or to Edward who married Dorothy. In 1826 there is Dorothy Blyth in the city directory of Louth.

I have never located a baptismal record for Mary Ann, which is preventing me from confirming that her parents are Dorothy and Edward.

I found a will dated 1772 stating that Mary Blyth of Louth, wife of Edward Blyth of Louth, was to inherit some land from her deceased father, Rickard Chatterton, a gentleman. Wondering if Mary was the wife of Edward Blyth, merchant and possible relation to Mary Ann Blyth (grandfather?). Mary's sons Thomas and John are listed, and no Edward, but he might not have been born yet?

Sorry if this confuses you..it confuses me, too. I am trying to establish who Mary Ann's parents were/who were siblings were and whether she is connected to this Edward Blyth of Louth fellow.

So very grateful in advance for a bit of advice. I have no subscriptions to any genealogy sites so am having extra trouble.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I can't help with any 'how about this one' suggestions, but don't forget that people usually say for their birthplace the place they remember where they grew up - which is not necessarily where they were born. (Which in turn is not necessarily the place where they were baptised.

But with regard to this Mary
    Quote Originally Posted by hilarykellis View Post
    I found a will dated 1772 stating that Mary Blyth of Louth, wife of Edward Blyth of Louth, was to inherit some land from her deceased father, Rickard Chatterton, a gentleman. Wondering if Mary was the wife of Edward Blyth, merchant and possible relation to Mary Ann Blyth (grandfather?). Mary's sons Thomas and John are listed, and no Edward, but he might not have been born yet?
    Mary Chatterton married Edward Blyth 13 October 1749 at Aswardby.
    Unfortunately only the BTs for Aswardby records prior to 1754 survive, and LincstothePast doesn't have those online to see if there's any further details.

Pam

janbooth

FreeReg website has the baptism of a Marianne BLYTH at Louth on 17 April 1801, parents John & Dorothy BLYTH.

Also the marriage at Louth on 28 August 1792 of John BLYTH & Dorothy SMITH.

Lots of Louth records, so definitely worth a look for you.

Janet

hilarykellis

Wow, Marianne Blyth baptised April 1801 to John and Dorothy looks extremely promising. I will have to see what other children they had. That would also make more sense given the Dorothy Blyth next door to Mary Ann and family lives in Louth, where you would think the other Dorothy, wife of Edward, would be living in Hull where her husband died. Anyway, thanks very much, I certainly hadn't seen this baptism!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Excellent find, Janet, re Marianne's possible/likely baptism. I never even thought about the alternative spelling.

FreeREG currently have the wrong date for the marriage of John Blyth and Dorothy Smith. (I'll advise them.) It's actually 2 September 1792. https://www.
    lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=546598&iid=120387

Hilary - while the Charles Smith who was a witness at the marriage is likely to be a relative of Dorothy, the other witness - E Gray - was a witness at all the other marriages on the same page, so is probably the parish clerk.

Marianne's baptism https://www.
    lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=886980&iid=436622
    By checking on FreeREG and then going backwards and forwards in the register you will hopefully find the baptisms of the other children. (And sadly, possibly some burials.)

Previous register, starting with baptisms in 1792 (then lists marriages, burials, then does the same for 1793, and 1794) https://www.
    lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=711623&iid=436853

Pam

hilarykellis

Thanks so much all. I have found a goldmine of info. I found lots of info on the family in the papers and a confirmation that John Blyth was the father of Mary Ann when I found her marriage announcement. Dorothy died in 1846 in Louth. John Blyth was a bailiff. He died aged 63 in 1819 so that would put his birth at about 1756, but can't find a baptism that far back.

Found these kids for Dorothy Smith and John Blyth:
    Dorothy Blyth 1795–
    Edward Blyth 1797–
    Sarah Blyth 1806–
    Edward Tennyson Blyth 1807–
    William Peck Blyth 1809–

There is also an Edward Tennyson Blyth born to Edward and Dorothy Blyth in Louth the year after the first ET Blyth, so Edward and John were likely relatives.

Any tips for finding out more about Dorothy/John? Thank you so much for your help- and that record for Mary Ann really paved the way.

janbooth

What a great result for you. Are they likely to have left any Wills? I had a quick look on Lincs to the Past for any BLYTH(E) Wills and there were a few, but that was before I found the baptism so can't remember if there was one for a John.

I assume you have already found the Death Notice for John BLYTH in the newspapers. The Stamford Mercury stated that he was a Sheriff's Officer. It also shows that he occupied "superior meadow land in North Somercotes containing about 4 acres" which was going to be put up for auction and it looks as if he may have occupied property in Louth as well, also being put up for auction. Given that fact, he may well have left a Will which could perhaps give you more information about his family, siblings maybe, if you are lucky.

Ancestry have a baptism at Louth on 7 March 1752 of a John BLYTH son of Edward & Mary BLYTH. They also show the same details on 7 March 1751 so I assume the baptismal date is 1751/52. Given that the name Edward features very strongly in your family, this could well be the baptism of your John. Will look some more for further information.

Janet

janbooth

Ancestry have quite a few transcriptions for baptisms at Louth ten years either way of 1756 (my search parameter). Edward & Mary had a William baptised 7 Feb 1750 and another William on 8 March 1755 plus a Thomas baptised 31 May 1753. There is also a William & Sarah BLYTH having children at about the same time, including a couple of Edward's.

Another snippet in the Stamford Mercury dated 11 July 1806:

July 10th was married Mr Edward BLYTH of Louth, Merchant, aged 78, to Miss ASH of Boston, aged 54. He is of the right age to be John's father isn't he. Edward appears to have died on 9 February 1820, aged 95, an eminent grazier and dealer in stock and a Wool Merchant, again an article in the Stamford Mercury.

Marriage from Lincolnshire Marriage Index on 13 October 1749 at Aswardby of Edward BLYTH & Mary CHATTERTON which could be relevant. From the same source a marriage on 13 May 1761 at East Allington of a William BLYTHE & Sarah WOOLLEY, so no sign of a TENNYSON or PECK there.

Janet

hilarykellis

I did see that 1752 baptism this morning, but thought the years were pretty far off- 1752 is 4 years before 1756, was it common for an individual's age at death to be mis-recorded? Otherwise the details would certainly fit- and the names are certainly family names. Any idea how to track down Dorothy? I found a Dorothy born to George and Ann with brother Charles but that was in 1760, 11 years too early.

janbooth

It is quite common for ages on death records to be incorrect. After all the detail is only as good as the informant and in many cases the ages at death are only approximate. Also, even those who were considered as well educated people in the 18th century would maybe not be considered as such by today's standards.

As for searching for Dorothy, she could be more difficult to find being a SMITH but at least it is a slightly more uncommon Christian name. Dorothy BLYTH is in the 1841 census of Louth (HO107/639/15, folio 11, page 14) living by herself at Chequergate. She is described as aged 65, Independent, and born in the county of Lincolnshire. This means that according to the census she was born sometime between 1772 and 1776 (ages in the 1841 census theoretically being rounded down to the nearest 5 years for persons over the age of 15). Ancestry's Select Births and Christenings have a baptism at Stamford All Saints on 18 September 1776 for a Dorothy daughter of John & Dorothy SMITH - big groan if this is she, as John SMITH is a nightmare to research!

Hopefully, more to follow.

Janet

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast