Katy

Default Thomas Edward Duff

My great grandfather, Thomas Edward Duff, was born in Gateshead, Durham in 1876 to Elizabeth Bell. He was the youngest child and his "father", David Duff, had died in 1873. He married Mary Ann Thompson. He was killed in action on 16 August 1917 as a private in the Royal Irish Fusiliers. Thomas and Mary Ann had 3 boys, John, Matthew and Henry, and a girl, Mary. Matthew is my grandfather. Does anyone have any further information on Thomas, Mary Ann, John, Henry or Mary. Mary married a Garbutt.

Thanks

Hello
    Are you wanting information on the three boys and Mary after the 1911 census?
    I think you have the following information on your tree on ancestry?
    Marriage for John W Duff to a Jane Aiston in 1921? You have one son Thomas Edward born 1922-1969.
    Henry Duff 1908 - 1983 No marriage or children's information.
    Mary Elizabeth Duff 1914 married Thomas Herbert Garbutt 1935. You have two children for this couple (private) but no death dates for Mary or Thomas.
    I am a little puzzled as to what information you are seeking? More personal stuff? Hoping to contact relatives? Are you looking to find the birth father of Thomas? Bastardy bonds would be the way to go with that but as Elizabeth seems to have a supportive family (1881/91) she may not have gone that route.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Katy

Dear Christina

I would like 2 things:

1 To confirm that the information is correct; and
    2 to contact relatives.

I am unable to find the birth father of Thomas, his birth certificate has no information, but as I have only recently found out that he died in the WW1, any further information would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Katy

This site explains about bastardy bonds, and maintenance orders.
    https://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk...nceOrders.aspx

Christina
    William Burroughs

Katy

Thanks Christina, I will check this out.

Katy

Katy

The medal roll for Thomas states "Delete from 1915 Star Roll B3C/42 Auth B3C Enc 53B" - does anyone know what this means?

Thanks

Hi
    I think it may mean that he was entered twice for the same medal (1915 Star) then the error was noticed and corrected so he wasn't issued with a duplicate.

Christina
    William Burroughs