Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Marriages & Banns

I have the marriage certificate of my 2xgreatGrandparents William Parkinson & Mary Jane Eakins, married 18 April 1853 at St Leonards church, Shoreditch, Hackney. Marriage was following reading of the Banns. Are these Banns recorded anywhere? On Anc* there is a catagory 'London, England Marriages & Banns 1754-1921', the marriage entry for William & Mary is there but should I be able to find the Banns recorded there as well? My interest is that Mary was from Ireland and I wonder if the Banns may show her parish of origin.
    As ever any help or guidance appreciated.
    Thank you
    Colin

Brick wall demolition expert!

Not necessarily, as it depends whether (a) the records survived, and (b) the records been deposited with the LMA. If you look at the detail of what is included there are no clear indications.:

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1623

Why not give the LMA a call and ask them?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

It's highly unlikely that the banns will show Mary's place of birth/residence in Ireland before coming to England as the place mentioned in the banns is the current parish of residence and it's unlikely that she would be living in Ireland if she's getting married in London in a couple of weeks.

Presumably the census records just say Ireland for Mary's place of birth?

Pam

Thank you Megan & Pam. As the collection on Anc* refers to London Marriages & BANNS I wondered if and where the Banns might appear. I wanted to try the Anc* avenue before I call the London Metropolian Archives.

At time of marriage William was in the 43rd reg of foot and I assume met Mary in Ireland where he was serving and subsequently married at Shoreditch.

Mary's roots are a brickwall, yes on all the census it just shows place of birth as Ireland.

Colin

Knowledgeable and helpful

Eakin/Aiken and various variants is found in Ulster and also around Dublin. You can see where the name was most common in Ireland in the mid 1800s using this link:

https://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/surname/

However you’ll still need a lead from sources in England to narrow the search.
    ELWYN

Hi
    Can you read Mary Jane's father's (James) occupation on the marriage record? I can't.
    She was a lot younger than the widower James wasn't she, 21 at marriage to his 39 years.?

Do you have the marriage cert for her marriage to John Houston 1876?

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Can you read Mary Jane's father's (James) occupation on the marriage record?
    Could it be weaver?

Peter

I didn't want to bog down the initial post with a lot of detail but I confirm William Parkinson died in 1873 in Darlington and Mary Jane subsequently married John Houston in 1876, Mary Jane's father James Eakins is shown as a Linen Weaver. On all census returns it shows Mary Jane as born Ireland but nothing more specific.

Interestingly her daughter Adelaide Salloway appears on the 1930 census for Detroit USA where it shows mother's birthplace - this would be Mary Jane and birthplace does look like Northern Ireland.
    Colin

Mike Fry

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    It's highly unlikely that the banns will show Mary's place of birth/residence in Ireland before coming to England as the place mentioned in the banns is the current parish of residence and it's unlikely that she would be living in Ireland if she's getting married in London in a couple of weeks.

Presumably the census records just say Ireland for Mary's place of birth?

Pam
    I can only echo this. I've found that some Banns books have been transcribed as if they were marriages. Without looking at the actual images, there is no real way of knowing whether the transcription refers to the Banns or to the marriage. I ahve a particular case in my family, where Banns have been recorded as if a wedding took place, but when examining the image it was apparent that even though the Banns had been called, no marriage happened.

So, be very wary of any Ancestry or LDS marriage transcriptions unless you've checked the source document.

I have sent enquiries to both Ancestry and the London Metropolitan Archives to see if the Banns survived and are available to examine. I will happily report back any outcome.

Colin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast