TomBen

Default Any US based users? I could use some help!

Hello all,

I'm looking for some help in securing copies/photos of a set of documents held in the United States National Archives. Being UK based it's a bit difficult to get out there solely for a small research task! If there is someone heading to the College Park Archives in Maryland in the near future and doesn't mind sparing some time i'd really appreciate the effort!

National Archives at College Park
    8601 Adelphi Road
    College Park,
    MD 20740-6001

The specific file I'm after contains debriefing notes for American and British soldiers and civilians that were captured, held and tortured by the Japanese during the Second World War.

Following the liberation of POW camps and the Japanese surrender, American and British forces selected a sampling of men from the liberated camps in order to record war crimes and atrocities committed against POWs in contravention of the Geneva and Hague conventions.

The notes made by the United States Military were kept by the US War Department, even those made from British testimony.

All the details on the specific collection can be found here:

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/5694142?q=POW%20Debrief

I hope someone can help and I'd be glad to organise some form of recompense for the effort!

Thank you in advance,

Kind Regards,

Tom

PatMcCoy

I just came across your posting from back in 2013.

I can try to help if possible even though I'm unable to travel there at this time. (I'm only a few miles away from the National Archives in College Park, Maryland.)