buttonbox

Default Can anyone explain these Airforce records

On my father's service records 3, just above where it says Civil Occupation, it has some writing crossed out which reads:-‘ Telpr/op 22/9/40’ and above that it’s hard to read but it looks like:-‘ V/T LeLk GD (Cypher)’.

The next card which reads ‘2 RC Carding’ at the top, under ‘MUSTER’ on the top right it lists ‘Telepr OP’.
    Bottom right of the same document it shows his proficiency as ‘Tepr Opr 22/7/40 423/4 %
    Next line down ‘73/43 att. ‘O’ Crse 14/9/43- 24/9/43 68%
    Next line down ‘403/44 Att GST Course @ 2RC C’
    Next document 001B (5th down from MUSTERING) it says ‘Telpr OP’ and ‘Tele OP’ and ‘276/44 ….. VT CIK/GD codes cypher 8/11/44’
    I note there is a letter X against his postings and it may be pure coincidence that the British top secret cypher tele-printer system was 'type X machines'.

Another document SVC RCDS 2:- '162/45 European Sigs Centre Chicksands'

I know my father was stationed in the Orkney's and mum said he had "something to do with Radar" , but that's all I know. My father died shortly after the war ended and I was just a baby so don't remember him, but I do have these service records when he served in the RAF during WW2. Any help would be much appreciated.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Teleprinter Operator & probably telephone operator. This site may help there's loads on info here:

https://www.211squadron.org/glossary.html#Ranks
    also
    https://www.associations.rafinfo.org.uk/acronyms.htm
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

buttonbox

Default thank you!

Thank you very much indeed, I will try there.

Have a look at this page HERE.

mfwebb

I obtained my father's RAF records a few years ago and it was full of abbreviations and ciphers. The attached 4-page list of abbreviations wasn't much help either. So I compiled a list of the abbreviations I was unable to understand then wrote to the RAF address supplied with the information and they were a great help. They decoded every abbreviation and answered every query, and gave me some additional related information which I hadn't asked for.

I had always understood that my father was stationed at RAF Leucars in Scotland -- that is what my mother told me. The RAF told me he was stationed at RAF Dalkeith which, after being decommissioned by the RAF, became Inverness Airport.