charlie64

Thumbs up Family members in London 1644 - any ideas?

Here goes my first question to the forum: John Nuthall (Nuttall, Nutwell, etc various spellings) came to Virginia as an indentured servant in the 1620s. He became a trader and later a merchant in the trade between Virginia and London. In 1644 one Joseph Phillips wrote to his (Phillips’) brother in Virginia. The letter was sent from “Mark Lane over against Lord Barings.” In it, amongst various matters of business, Phillips sends a message to John Nuthall saying: “The three kingdoms are now up in arms. Mr Nuthall father, mother and sister are in good health - enclosed letter from Mr Nuthall's father to Mr N.” This means that John Nuthall’s parents and sister were in England (and probably in London) in 1644. Could anyone suggest a way to follow up? I imagine that the Great Fire destroyed many of the records but have any population lists (merchant directories, property rolls or tax lists etc.) survived for London in that period that might show this Nuthall senior? I want to learn more about researching in the U.K.

Thanks,
    Charlie the novice

thewideeyedowl

Default Marine Lives Project

Hi and a very warm welcome to Brit Gen...

Though I cannot answer your specific question, I had - quite by chance - discovered Marine Lives earlier this evening. It is a project to digitise, transcribe and annotate manuscripts from the English High Court of Admiralty [HCA] records from the 1650s and 1660s. They are held at The National Archives [TNA] at Kew.

'Nuthall' produced 13 hits: https://www.marinelives.org/index.php...3ASearch&go=Go

I'll leave you to sort them out!

Off to roost.

Owl

charlie64

What a great site! I already found a (family history) bombshell on my Sprigg. Didn't know he was affiliated with whalers. Thank you!

janbooth

Charlie,

Welcome to the Forum. I did a Google search on "John NUTHALL" of Virginia 1600's, and one of the results was a link to "Antecedents and Descendants of John Nuthall of Cross Manor". This gives what appears to be a pretty well researched history of John and his family. As you say you are a novice re searching in England, I am guessing this is not your research, so could give you some valuable information. Your John NUTHALL could be John NUTHALL IV who married an Elizabeth BACON c1609, emigrated as a servant to Virginia, died in Maryland in 1667, had a daughter Eleanor who married a Thomas SPRIGG, this family originating in Catenhall, Cheshire. As you mention a SPRIGG connection in your above post, I am guessing this could well be your John NUTHALL. Have a look anyway and see what you think.

Janet

PatMcCoy

I have an Eleanor NUTHALL married to Thomas SPRIGG in my database. Could they be related to the subjects of this inquiry?