Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    southistle

Default Could these ladies be related?

Famous for offering help & advice

It's very hard to say, though I thought the women's chins were similar. Would there be any chance of an enlargement of just the head and shoulders of both of them, please?

It looks as though the photos were taken at the same time, with (conjecture) a mother and daughter, then grandmother and the same child, plus one other. But were the two women mother and daughter, or perhaps mother-in-law and daughter-in-law? A larger photo would definitely help.

Arthur

southistle

I have 5 photos taken at the same time, one of them has my father age about 14 or 15 which dates the photos about 1929. (Nothing is recorded on the back of any of them)
    The younger lady is my grandmother who would be aged about 34. I don't know who the little girls are. I cannot fit them into my family tree. My father had no sisters.
    I will see if I can do what your suggest.

southistle

Thanks for the enlargements. It's still not easy to be sure, but the overall face shape and features now look quite similar to me. Also the hair - I know they have it parted on opposite sides, but the general look seems quite similar.

If they are related then it might be easier to identify the older woman first. If not your grandmother's mother, then perhaps an aunt?

Arthur

southistle

The older lady does remind me of my grandmother when she was older. But I haven't got a photo to compare. My grandmother was the oldest in the family so can not be an older sister. Her mother was 58 at the time of the photo and lived for another 15 years.
    I so badly want it to be my great grandmother!

They do look to have very similar features. The nose and lips, the deep forehead even the eyes with a straight lower lid.(if you see what I mean.)

In the first photos posted the older woman has a longer neck and does appear to be taller than the younger woman -not quite so stolid.

Looking at the photo with the two children in it, is there a possible third person/child hiding at the feet of 'grandma' RH side as you look at the photo.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Looking at the photo with the two children in it, is there a possible third person/child hiding at the feet of 'grandma' RH side as you look at the photo.
    Missed that! Or is it "grandma"'s coat rolled up and supposedly out of sight?

Quote Originally Posted by southistle View Post
    The older lady does remind me of my grandmother when she was older. But I haven't got a photo to compare. My grandmother was the oldest in the family so can not be an older sister. Her mother was 58 at the time of the photo and lived for another 15 years.
    I so badly want it to be my great grandmother!
    Did your grandmother have any siblings who could have had children in about 1922-25? Bear in mind that if there was illegitimacy, or any children died, they might not have been talked about ever again. It's just struck me that the child who appears only on the second photo has hair very similar to the older woman's, and that, together with the pose, might suggest she is their grandmother.

Lastly, do you know where the photos were taken? I know there's not a lot to go on, but it might be the garden of one of the adults. Would it fit with where your grandmother and/or great grandmother were living at the time?

Arthur

southistle

Here are the other 3 photos taken at the same time. One is my father looks to be a young teen, he was born in 1915.
    Another is my grandfather. A brick wall is just visible when I enlarge one of the, and the post on the left of a couple of them may be for a clothes line. So I think it is a back yard rather than in the country. And yes on enlarging there is no child but more like a bundled up coat.
    I have been trying to work the family forward looking for the 2 little girls, one possible born 1927. They lived in Northampton and owned a corner grocery shop

Quote Originally Posted by southistle View Post
    So I think it is a back yard rather than in the country.
    Careful here! - I'm not sure what Canadian terminology is, but from watching Australian TV I understand that a back yard to them is what we in the UK would call a back garden, whereas to us a back yard is a small space within high walls, usually paved, at the back of a small, often terraced, house.

In this case, it looks like it could be a moderately sized garden, with space for a few slightly unkempt flowers, but probably mainly given over to vegetables or fruit. It doesn't look to be primarily decorative.

I'm intrigued by the little fair-haired girl. She was apparently significant enough to be photographed with three different adults and your father, and for the photos to be kept all this time.

Arthur

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast